Excited!

Old 06-21-2016, 11:50 AM

Default Excited!

Howdy yall ☺

My sister is doing a major cleaning of her house...hauling a lot of stuff out and rearranging. She called me over the weekend and told me that in clearing out her "junk room" she had found two vintage sewing machines and a small serger that she wants me to come get! She didn't know the model numbers, but told me that one of them is an old Singer with a shuttle bobbin! Since we're in the process of moving, I will wait until we're in the new house before I go get them. I can't wait to see what I'm getting!

On another note, I picked up a singer red-eye for $10 at a yard sale this weekend! It was just the machine itself without a cabinet, but since there is no motor or belt on it I'm assuming it was a treadle. It is missing the plate over the bobbin area and the bobbin case, and the bobbin area is full of lint and grunge. It has some surface rust on it and when I turned the wheel the needle didn't move, even though the wheel moved easily enough. I'm hoping to put a hand crank on it if I can find out how to get it working. But if not, I'll just shine it up the best I can and use it as a doorstop when I get my new she-shed/quilting studio set up. But for ten bucks I just couldn't leave her sitting there. 😀

Donna
Old 06-22-2016, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

Is the clutch engaged? The clutch is the knob in the hand wheel you turn to make button holes. You might need to tighten it. The machine might need to be cleaned and oiled. The plates are available on line. Someone might have the bobbin case over at Victorian Sweatshop... There are selling restrictions here.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:28 AM

I gasped when I read that you will use a Singer red eye as a doorstop. Oh my....that's one of my favorite machines. The decals are so pretty.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I gasped when I read that you will use a Singer red eye as a doorstop. Oh my....that's one of my favorite machines. The decals are so pretty.
Don't worry. I was just kidding! 😂😂😂

Donna
Old 06-22-2016, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

Congrats!!!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

congrats on your new machines