Featherweight 221, 1953

Old 08-23-2013, 04:28 AM

She looks just like my Baby and I paid $300 to a friend for it more than 5 years ago. They were going for $400 and more back then. Just love her and use her, and have no regrets. If you hadn't bought her, you'd probably have regretted that more.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mdaniels View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]431751[/ATTACH]
Bought this today, have a little buyers remorse as, after reading folks say they would not pay over a certain amount, I may have overspent at $300. She does come with a one year warranty from the shop, however. Unfortunately I got her home and realized there is no belt (I will call in the morning). The little screw that holds the feet on is missing, and I can't get the storage shelf in the box to sit far enough down to close the lid. Other than that she is really pretty
Will my 401 feet fit her?

i spent too much? That is what they have been listing for around here on Craigslist.
I have a 1930 and 1933 or 1936 one or the other old singer but not feather weights I sure wish I could find one does matter the year just so I could have one to. I will keep looking though.thanks for sharing
Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Seems like an ok price to me. Congrats!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 AM

She looks terrific!! You will love sewing on her! Welcome to the FW club!!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 AM

Congratulations! I have three FW (at least I did before my daughter and gd came to visit). I paid the most for my first one because I had to have her. You'll learn to wheel and deal on the next one :-)

Do you have a 201, 66, 99, 15 laying around? I think their parts are compatible. You can "borrow" their feet and screws just in case you can't get what you need before you leave.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 AM

Keep her and love her. I paid $295 for my first Featherweight because I wanted one for sentimental reasons.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:05 AM
pal

I have a 1947 Featherwight. I also have a Huskavarna- 2 years old. The Featherweight is my main machine - use it for everything. You will love it!!!!! Forget about what you spent for it - it's yours and you are so lucky!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM

I paid $250 for mine, down from $300 because it had a fair amount of decal/paint wear and the the guy I bought from was impressed by the questions I asked and that I wanted to sew on it. If you love it and felt the price was fair, then you never overpaid. Use it and love it. (After you get a belt, of course!)
Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 AM

In the bottom of the box, and yours looks like it's likely original, there are 2 ledges. One on the left and one on the right. More often than not, when the machine hangs up the tray, it's because the right side of the machine is still sitting on top of the ledge. The machine needs to nestle between the two ledges. You'll get it so it's natural to reposition it before you even try to put the tray on it.

I'm surprised the shop let it leave without a belt! The presser foot screw, I can almost see, but either way, they're owed to you. You should also ask if they have the accessories box it should have come with. Maybe you won't have to put anything extra out for feet. For the price you paid, I would have thought that should have included the accessories box too. No, you didn't overpay. Here, that's about the going rate for a Clean serviced fully outfitted machine.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mdaniels View Post
She is beautiful, she seems to be very clean, in great condition...but I haven't sewn on her yet. I think the cord has been replaced, or it has been kept in great shape. There is a straight stitch plate on her. I will have to look for some feet, as there is not a regular sewing foot or a quarter inch foot. There is a straight stitch foot, I think (tiny hole only). But I need the little screw that screws them on.

Hoping to have her necessary parts to take on vacation with us in a week or so. I'd love to do some piecing while away.

i haven't named her yet, the effect of buyers remorse and falsely telling myself I might take her back...but, when I do name her, she will be called Eva, after my seamstress grandmother, Eva Gertrude ((Gertrude is my 401's name....she looks more like a Gertrude). Thanks, tho, I feel better about the price.

Will try the box fitting again. I am wondering if she's not in her original box. (Box below)

Best place to find parts??

Thank you!
This is the original box. But, did you get the little accessories holder that fits over the two screws on the left side?
Parts are readily available. www.thequiltgal.com