featherweight bobbin case

Old 04-06-2020, 10:12 AM

welcome from western Ky. and to the FW club, I an a very happy owner of one black and 3 repainted FWs, they are really great little machines.My sister took them all along with 4 of my Pfaffs to Ga. as sisters want me to move down there to be close to them. I am really trying to work out in my mind how I will get every thing into one room. I have 3 bedroom house with huge sewing room 8 office chairs treadle tables (for my 4 H classes) my dyeing shed which is so cute and all Set up just perfect for dyeing, I have to leave behind. oh well things could be worse, I am staying in house right now, sure wish I had a pet to keep me company. After I settle in Ga, I will look for my little pom stay healthy every one! and happy quilting
Old 08-22-2020, 04:43 PM

I am having the same problem with my FW 221 - sewing fine until it doesn't and I find the bobbin thread out of the tension finger in the bobbin case. Yes, these are reproduction bobbins and cases (I'm guessing), but I have used the same bobbins and case for a lot of sewing since I pulled this machine out of storage, cleaned it up and oiled it. Today is the first time I've run into this problem. Any suggestions???
Old 08-22-2020, 06:27 PM

I'm wondering if it needs to be cleaned out. Sometimes gunk and/or thread gets under the tension spring. Sometimes the bobbin doesn't get wound evenly and will present problems. I will also double check that I have the thread unwinding the correct direction, if I'm having problems.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I'm wondering if it needs to be cleaned out. Sometimes gunk and/or thread gets under the tension spring. Sometimes the bobbin doesn't get wound evenly and will present problems. I will also double check that I have the thread unwinding the correct direction, if I'm having problems.

After trying new bobbin, new thread, rethreading, testing on other fabrics, I took off the needle plate and cleaned and reoiled the hook assembly. Also checked that the bobbin case was clean. Still having the same issue. It sews fine for a time, then shows "gathers" in the seam line and I find the bobbin thread no longer threaded through the tension finger on the bobbin case. Not even sure what search terms to use to find a solution.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:24 AM

My 301s will do that if the bobbin is too full. I think one of them isn't stopping when filling the bobbin.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:59 PM

Sometimes, there is still gunk where it doesn't belong. I know bkay thought she had a bobbin case cleaned and then found out that it wasn't as clean as it could be. Bobbin trouble on Singer 403
Granted, it is for a different bobbin case, but the principle is the same.

Also, there could be stuff under the tension spring - do be careful. One way to clean can be found at https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...ase-yo-yo-test

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-23-2020 at 02:02 PM. Reason: add'l info