Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Google Goddess

cool, I would love to find one born in 1956 the year I was born

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I have two - Libby born in 1956 and Ruby Jewel born in 1947. Love to sew on them both. Am now on the lookout for a 1952 version, my birth year.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, I am so happy you rescued the machine from the trash

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
I have been an avid proponent of the 301's and have accumulated 8 of them. I had seen a fw that someone had in a class I took and didn't really think too much of it. I did take the time to read and learn about them, especially since they are closely related and many parts work on either model. In my travels, I paid attention to look for them. You know how you can walk into a shop or yard sale and the vintage machines just leap into vision. I did post this story before, but I got my featherweight at the curb. I saw the case, I thought, and drove a bit further down the road (I live waaayy out in the country) so I could turn around safely. I drove back there (trying not to do 90 mph), and a man was putting more 'junk' out to the curb. Well I asked him about it and he said it doesn't work and hadn't been used for years and belonged to his aunt that passed away. Well I said even though it doesn't work I'd like to tinker with it. He said take it it was junk. The workings needed a good cleaning, oiling and greasing. I had it sewing withing minutes. It's not perfect, or pristine...no showroom finish on this girl-just like me. When she started to sew I promised her that from now on she would be cared for, used and appreciated.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Thirty six years ago I went to a local library sale with my children. Three girls wanting stuffed toys. We carried a load to the check out table and under the table was a black box . I wish I could say I knew what it was but what I wanted was the black box for the girls to use going to grandmas. I did not have any idea what I was looking at. I thought it was a toy sewing machine. It looked as if it had never been used. All the feet where in it. All for $1.00. I know it sounds crazy but it was years later that I realized what jewel I had. I love that machine and just bought a new foot to do FMQ. Haven't used it yet. Has any one done FMQ on your FW?
Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by skothing
Thirty six years ago I went to a local library sale with my children. Three girls wanting stuffed toys. We carried a load to the check out table and under the table was a black box . I wish I could say I knew what it was but what I wanted was the black box for the girls to use going to grandmas. I did not have any idea what I was looking at. I thought it was a toy sewing machine. It looked as if it had never been used. All the feet where in it. All for $1.00. I know it sounds crazy but it was years later that I realized what jewel I had. I love that machine and just bought a new foot to do FMQ. Haven't used it yet. Has any one done FMQ on your FW?
You haven't sewn with your Featherweight yet??? Good heavens! :shock: I've not done FMQ with my FW because the feed dogs don't drop and its a tiny machine. I do love piecing quilts with mine though.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:08 PM

I am embarrassed to tell you that I now own 5 Featherweights. (blush) I just started quilting 2 years ago and fell in love with the cute things. I wanted a white one so badly but couldn't find one. Soooooo, I bought a black 1947 late one night on ebay for a great price.

Then, I found a white one on the Goodwill auction site and got it for a great price too. That was it..I was thrilled to have a black one AND a white one. I could easily justify this to my husband. ha!

So then I took a quilting class and the instructor said SHE had one for her birth year. OH yeah...Well, if she had one, I wanted one too! so, I finally found the 1949 one on ebay late one night also.

I thought I was finished.

Nope, late again one night on ebay, they had a Centennial one for a great price and no one was bidding. I got her for $165. I was done. I most definitely was finished buying Featherweights.

Well, maybe not yet....my former mother in law died last August and left me some money. I have always loved the 222 Featherweights, but never thought I could afford one. One night I emailed this lady in London, England on ebay and asked her if she would take less for one of her 222 machines. She emailed me off site and agreed to sell it to me for $800. I told my husband that was the one thing I was going to buy with my inheritance.

I AM FINISHED!!! I will leave one to each of my children and grandchildren IF I can get them to learn how to sew and/or quilt. whew...long story!!

Moral of the story? DO NOT get on any auction site late at night if you don't want to buy another Featherweight! :-)
Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 AM

I have a featherweigh 221 that i bought at pawn shop had to get it all fixed up finally cost after fixing up was 258 bu it runs great love it does any one know where i could buy a 1/4 sewing foot for it
Old 07-05-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by chergram
I have a featherweigh 221 that i bought at pawn shop had to get it all fixed up finally cost after fixing up was 258 bu it runs great love it does any one know where i could buy a 1/4 sewing foot for it
You should find a 1/4" foot on either of these sites:
www.thesewbox.com
www.april1930s.com
Both are great to deal with!
Happy Sewing!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM

YOu can get a 1/4 inch foot at almost any sewing machine store. You will need a straight shank and possibly an adaptor since most of the feet today are quick attachments and the Featherweight would require a screw on attachment. I bought one for mine and the middle piece to make it work on a FW.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by chergram
You should find a 1/4" foot on either of these sites:
www.thesewbox.com
www.april1930s.com
Both are great to deal with!
Happy Sewing!
www.221parts.com
is another good website for featherweight parts and accessories.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM

I have worked with a wonderful man in North Carolina when I needed anything for my FW. Google Featherweight Poppy. He's fantastic, honest, and dependable.