Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FEATHERWEIGHT MACHINES

In reading alot of the hot topics on this board....I have come to realize that everyone here really loves featherweights. My question is this: Do you like them for just show purposes or do you like them for sewing purposes? When you purchase these machines do you look for them to be in working order to actually use them?

Oh, by all means, to use them. They are great to take to classes and retreats. With care, not much goes wrong with them, they have a lovely stitch, and just hum when you sew.

:thumbup: i love mine!!!!!!!!! i use it all the time, easy to carry,works great,i just love it. Paula

Mine sews the straightest and most accurate seam ever!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerudy
    Ditto!!! I though that I just could not sew straight before I got my featherweight. Found out that I can sew a straight seam after all. :)

Blog Entries
    I am looking for one to travel with me, and it will get used at home as well :D:D:D

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love sewing on mine!! It can go in any room I'm in, as well as travel, and just like the others said it's a dream to sew on!!
    I wouldn't spend the money on one just for show, they aren't cheap!

I even used mine in a hotel room! I LOVE my Featherweight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerudy
    DITTO!

I love both my 221 and 222 but find that I don't use the 222 unless I need the tiny free arm.

Joy

I have a featherweight that my mother bought in 1938. I sewed on it when I was in high school out of necessity. I have made about 10-15 quilt tops on it. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Has a lot of miles on it and still runs perfectly. Mom made a few quilts with it and started a Sunbonnet Sue quilt. After she passed away we three girls found 40 squares so I took 20 of them and made a Sunbonnet Sue quilt. One of my mom's sisters told me she made the squares in 1938 when she had a case of bronchitis. This was my first quilt that I put together. Will get a photo to put on the site. Last night about 11:30 I got my puter up and running again and got all the bells and whistles for the my Bernina and did my first design. Of course, I had help from my 11 year old grandson. He wants me to teach him how to use my 630. He catches on quick. Just wants to go too fast and makes mistakes that might damage my machine. But I have to be patient. Going to make another design now. Talk later. Everyone have a blessed day.

Banned
    If you should find a featherweight and it doesn't have a carrying case, you can use a bowling ball bag. Fits perfectly. Just remove the wire from the bottom that the ball would fit in. Very easy to carry.

Featherweights are definitely not just for show, they are sturdy and will not break down, although we do hear the word "cute" alot when folks talk about them. With a little care and oiling they will last forever. Owners can do all the servicing they need and not be running to the fixit shop as parts are readily available if and when you need them. They can become a bit addictive --in a good way. I admit I am a collector and love them all, they all are in working order and I switch off and use them all. Yes, they are all named. Ruth

I have four. Blueberry, Jasmine, Celery and Queen Mother. I use them all. Where else can you find a machine that weights 11 lbs. and sews the nicest tightest seam known?

I finally splurged and bought one. I use it for all my piecing and workshops. My Janome I use for machine quilting. The fact that the featherweight has all metal parts means that it is virtually indestructable. I love that!

Quote Originally Posted by PBCHRETIEN
    In reading alot of the hot topics on this board....I have come to realize that everyone here really loves featherweights. My question is this: Do you like them for just show purposes or do you like them for sewing purposes? When you purchase these machines do you look for them to be in working order to actually use them?
    I use my Featherweights. You see them sitting on my featherweight table. They are wonderful little machines, they must be in working order before I buy one.
    Here are my 3 Featherweights. :-D

tan featherweight in foreground,1957 on the left and 1951 centennial on the right.
    Name:  Attachment-116626.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  44.9 KB

1957 Featherweight
    Name:  Attachment-116700.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  51.9 KB

1951 centennial
    Name:  Attachment-116702.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  58.4 KB

1951 centennial badge(sorry its fuzzy)
    Name:  Attachment-116703.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  20.2 KB

I have two Fw and they are my goto machines My big singer with all the bells and whistles is not the machine my FW are. wouldn't dream of takeing a class without them. I also have a 301a it's a workhorse too. once you sew on a fw you'll see why we all love them

I use my Featherweight.
    She is lightweight and mine sews a beautiful stitch too.

Awesome machine to use in tight places.

I just got one this year so I can sew whenever I want, as I have a 20lb lifting limit since back surgery. I love it! I got the Brother HS2000. It's been working hard since June without a lick of trouble and I've completed six quilts so far with it as well as numerous other projects.

I love mine and they do outlast all of these newer ones.They are real sturdy and very well built.That is why they are still around ,I guess.I would give up my Bernina before I would part with my featherweight.

Banned
    I have several quilt shops that I can not keep supplied in Featherweights fast enough. I repaint and service them and they cant keep them on the shelves.

I will say that if you get one use it like you stole it!! They are really wonderful little machines!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    IMO, there would be no point in having one if you weren't going to use it...I don't think they're all that cute!
    Straight stitchin' little machines, they are...I don't even look at my Janome anymore for anything other than a blanket stitch or machine quilting something too small for the frame...

I USE my FW. I take it to classes and workshops. It is a wonderful workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    IMO, there would be no point in having one if you weren't going to use it...I don't think they're all that cute!
    Straight stitchin' little machines, they are...I don't even look at my Janome anymore for anything other than a blanket stitch or machine quilting something too small for the frame...
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :-D They are great for piecing quilts.
    I have also made a corduroy jacket with my featherweight
    ;was a midwale corduroy and the FW sewed through it with no complaining at all.
    I used a size 16/100 needle and the only thing it didn't do was zig zag the raw edges, I used my Bernina for that. I was totally amazed!

N|Hi Grammyp,

I love my FW:
    1] It is lightweight and easily fits in a small tote. Easy to take to quilting groups.
    2] Other than when I first got it [the timing was off] I can do all the maintenance on my own. there are plenty of places to find the info: the web and the library ... or buy the book.
    3] I do display it above my barrister bookcase full of quilts I have made.
    4] It makes me feel good and is fun to use.

ali

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast