Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a Featherweight or not???

Blog Entries
    Seen this machine advertised on craigslist and the ad reads "Old School Singer Sewing Machine" Is this a Featherweight or not?? The front of the machine folds up like a Featherweight.. Is the featherweights the only machines that have the front to fold up. They are asking $100.00 for it, is that a good price??

I know someone will have the answer for me.. Thanks
    Janet
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Need a pic or link :wink:

Blog Entries
    Featherweight weighs about 11 lbs Get the serial number and look it up and that will tell you what model it is. I think there are other models that the left side flips up.

Blog Entries
    Having a pic for you to see would help wouldnt it.. LOL

Blog Entries
    It's a 301A Singer Long bed.
    Or a 301 Singer Long bed.

Nice machine.
    Great price if it's working.

Nope..... But it looks like a 'bullet', or that is what I have heard this machine called. Looks to be in good shape. OOPs..... wrong, didn't look at it close enough :shock:

Looks like a 301 to me, which is also a great machine.

Blog Entries
    Not fw but if it works well go for it!!

Blog Entries
    Not a featherweight. This is the featherweights big sister. $100 is a pretty good price. I have both and I love my 301.

Nope, it's a 301...but considered the big sister of the Featherweight...and still a great machine...
    I would go for it if the price is right...

Blog Entries
    I have to admit i have never sewn on a FW, but other than looks, I much prefer the 301. Mine is light enough (16 pounds)to travel, but heavy enough to do any quilting job needed. AnnieRose pieces perfectly, as does a FW, but she also FMQs wonderfully. Even does the binding without a walking foot which surprised me. They are going up in price, so $100 isn't too bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janethagy
    Seen this machine advertised on craigslist and the ad reads "Old School Singer Sewing Machine" Is this a Featherweight or not?? The front of the machine folds up like a Featherweight.. Is the featherweights the only machines that have the front to fold up. They are asking $100.00 for it, is that a good price??

Janet
    This is indeed a Singer 301. I have one, and I LOVE it. They call it the Featherweight Big Sister, and it is only a few more pounds in weight than the famous little Featherweight. But it is NOT a Featherweight. Go to any of the many threads on here about featherweights and you will see pictures. Or go to the Vintage Sewing Machines Shop Pictures thread and you'll find several there.

That is the big sister to a featherweight. It's the 301 and comes with the case, a box of attachments and it looks like a buttonholer is in there too. In that case it is definitely worth $100.00.
    Thus said it's up to you if you want to buy it or dream of a featherweight instead?
    Let us know what you decide.

Kat

That is a mocha 301 with a long bed and a case. GRAB IT!!!!

Looks like my black Singer 301A. I just love mine and I can do the 'maintance' on her myself. Got mine for $100.00. Had case and attachments. Grab her if a good price!!

Grab it. I would love a 301 longbed. $100 is a very good deal. Just make sure the bobbin case is there. Remember it threads from the right to left, with flat side of needle to the left.

I just came down from sewing on my 1951 301 black shortbed and LOVE IT...I also have a two tone 301A in a cabinet and also LOVE IT....don't pass it up for that price or you'll regret it.
    I have a vintage Singer repair man I go to and he highly recommends the 301's over the featherweights because they are gear driven not belt driven...and says..."don't yell at me ladies who own featherweights" They are better made and a better machine then the featherweights...
    301 weight is 15-16lbs...has a carry handle and very light to transport.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    I just came down from sewing on my 1951 301 black shortbed and LOVE IT...I also have a two tone 301A in a cabinet and also LOVE IT....don't pass it up for that price or you'll regret it.
    I have a vintage Singer repair man I go to and he highly recommends the 301's over the featherweights because they are gear driven not belt driven...and says..."don't yell at me ladies who own featherweights" They are better made and a better machine then the featherweights...
    301 weight is 15-16lbs...has a carry handle and very light to transport.
    I have two featherweights and a 301 that I purchased the first of May. I hate to say it but I haven't touched my Featherweights since I got my 301. LOVE IT!!!!

I used to use my grandmother's Featherweight almost exclusively and I haven't touched it since I bought the 301. I have given both of my other girls good 'baths' and have tucked them away. I will definently pull Freila out when I need to travel next month, but I don't see me using her before then. Sorry Mammaw.

Blog Entries
    no-it sure is not a feather weight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by janethagy

Janet
    301A Longbed and that is a great price for it!!

Billy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    if you don't want it at that price I DO!!!!...they are going for 3 times that on ebay now....I can afford $100, but no more!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Nope..... But it looks like a 'bullet', or that is what I have heard this machine called. Looks to be in good shape. OOPs..... wrong, didn't look at it close enough :shock:
    Looks like a Singer Rocketeer, or darn close to it.

Blog Entries
    I got the Machine tonight, its a 301A Long Bed. It sew beautifully and comes with all the attachments, buttonholer, and owners manuel.. will post pic tomorrow..:)
    By the way I got this machine for $75.00.. doing the happy dance!!1

I do a lot of FMQ on my Featherweight also. The 301 will handle a larger piece than the Featherweight. I also have the 301.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I have to admit i have never sewn on a FW, but other than looks, I much prefer the 301. Mine is light enough (16 pounds)to travel, but heavy enough to do any quilting job needed. AnnieRose pieces perfectly, as does a FW, but she also FMQs wonderfully. Even does the binding without a walking foot which surprised me. They are going up in price, so $100 isn't too bad.

Looks like a 301. My friend has one and loves it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast