Featherweight price

Old 09-04-2010, 07:01 AM

found one at our church sale $25.00 and it turned out to be a centenial model. have seen on e-bayand i an antique shop for around 550.00
Old 09-04-2010, 07:06 AM

Hi Aardie,
Yes, the tan and white or celery is a bit more rare. I have a celery (off white) 3 black (2 are for sale) and a metalic blue that I completely took apart, sanded and painted with automotive paint and put clearcoat over it, It is beautiful. I go throgh them when I find them and then resale. Thanks for inquiring. Beth
Old 09-04-2010, 07:10 AM

It's a bit on the high side, but if you WANT it!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 AM

The original cases are notorious for a "lovely" ugh smell. I would prefer a reproduction case. I have seen them and bought them for $225 and up. You just have to keep your eyes open. Most are in very good condition since this machine is very easy to maintain.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Hi Aardie,
Yes, the tan and white or celery is a bit more rare. I have a celery (off white) 3 black (2 are for sale) and a metalic blue that I completely took apart, sanded and painted with automotive paint and put clearcoat over it, It is beautiful. I go throgh them when I find them and then resale. Thanks for inquiring. Beth
I have noticed that the white are usually less since they were the last years of production. The tan are the rarest, the black are the oldest. If you look for a white one it is usually lower priced on ebay.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Unless it's a 221 white or 222 I think it's kinda high.
I gotta agree with Sue, make sure that it works too. Also a reproduction case drops the price as well. Wait for "the machine for you" you'll find it, maybe not today or tomorrow but it's out there. There was one here in Portland a week ago for $150.00. Everything was there from what I could see, it was a great deal but I already own one. I transfered the link to the board here and noone ever commented. Hope one of us got it.
Also not all FW's came with a scrolled faceplate. It does not affect how the machine works. You can have two FW's side by side made the same day with consecutive serial numbers and they can each have a different faceplate. The Singer site says that the plates were dumped into bins and when it started running low they would dump the next run in it. You can also by aftermarket/salvaged faceplates for small $. Just need to look.
Good Luck, hope you find one!! :lol:
:XD:
The scrolled faceplates were on the older machines. The simpler lined ones I believe started in the mid-late 40's or early 50's. Do you research; ask for the serial number and see approximately what year and where it was manufactured.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
If it is a black one it is too high in my opinion. I own three and the highest I paid was $210 for a white one in perfect condition. The lowest was $100 for a black one with all the parts and in perfect condition. They both had cases that were in similar very good conditions. I have had great luck with garage sales and craigs list.
Wow! you got a deal on the black one. Maybe times are changing things but black ones are usually in much higher demand.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:12 AM

My very first machine when I was 12 was a white one--about the last year that they were produced. I loved it and made all my clothes on it until mid college years when I made enough money to buy a standard zig-zag machine. I have had 3 since then in the past 15 years, my grandmother's white one which I bought her and 2 from ebay. A white one and a black one. Now I use an Elna grasshopper which is far superior to the featherweight but most people are too enamored with the featherweight being the "perfect" little machine to even give the Elna a look. It has more room under the arm both horizontally and vertically than a featherweight and is about the same weight and size in the case.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM

You do have to remember though FW's really are not all that rare as a whole. I used to think that they were before the internet came along. Now they are all over the US for sale. Yes some people trashed them and some do not run. They are not that costly to repair either. Not like having a motherboard go out on a computerized machine. But they ARE out there to be bought.
People are still going into Mom, Auntie or Grandmas attics and closets finding these machines and putting them in Yard/garage sales for much lower than a dealer sells them for. They just don't want the hassle of finding someone to buy it and when mourning a death of a loved one I don't blame them. You wouldn't be cheating them by buying at a lower price. It was their choice to sell it.
When you look at the figures out on the Singer site showing production numbers. They made far more sewing machines than even cars in those years.
So all and all there are hundreds of thousands of possible FW machines are out there. No reason that they should be so excessive in price. Remember the price that people put on an object is only their opinion of what they would like to get. That does not mean that they will actually get it unless someone is so gung ho to have one that they will pay an unrealistic price.

In the Pacific Northwest I have seen many FW's for way less than $300.00. Perhaps on the Northeast coast they can command that price.
Always remember too that even if the person selling it SAYS that it works perfectly fine, take it to a reputable Sewing Machine repair shop and have it completely serviced before you use it. That way if anything IS wrong, you have documentation from a professional to go with when contacting seller and or Ebay.
Hope this helps. :lol:
Faith :XD:
Old 09-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by nanaquilter1
found one at our church sale $25.00 and it turned out to be a centenial model. have seen on e-bayand i an antique shop for around 550.00
Way to Go!!!!!!!
Please Show us pics sometime?