Featherweight Questions

Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 AM

I had some trouble with the foot of my most recent FW not too long ago--it kept stopping on me in the middle of a seam, or occasionally not even starting. I had the DH look at the inside and wiring (it is the black button type foot control), and he found a short in the wiring where it goes into the control--cut the wire back and rewired the connections on the inside and that little machine said "thanks so much" and went right back to humming and sewing a perfect straight seam for me. We both love it when he can fix something for me. Hahahahah
Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Isn't it wonderful how long these vintage machines have been reliable. And they may well last decades more with a little help. BTW, I turn the foot feed sideways, heel on floor. But I don't sew much
Old 04-10-2020, 02:14 AM

Default Solution to vintage singer foot control designed for ladies heels.

After reading this, I found a pair of shoes with a heel that work perfect with my vintage singer foot controls. The shoes have the perfect heel to work with the pedal, and using the foot rest peg next to the pedal with heels becomes second nature after no time at all. The solid square button next to the square speed control button is for resting your heel on while your sewing, which most people don't realize unless they were told about using the controllers with heels. I used my "sewing shoes" and have been sewing face masks to help with the current need. Without using your suggestion, I never would have finished so many masks.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:29 AM

Mine was doing just the opposite - getting slower the longer I used it. I tried adjusting the belt and now it is much better, can't remember if I tightened or loosened the belt (that is what happens when you reach 72 years old) As to the foot pedal, I have always used the outside of my right foot to press down on the small square button on the foot pedal.