Featherweights locking up

Old 08-18-2014, 04:33 PM

I missed the "attitude part", Joe. But I am sometimes a ditz when I am reading and trying to work my way through a problem. I kinda feel the same way about sewers who won't "hear" me when I say "make sure your needle is in the up position, and hold the threads behind your presser foot when you start your seam"--when you are trying to teach someone to sew, you really have to possess a ton of patience. And sometimes I run out before I get near the ton mark; and have to go get myself a cup of coffee and sit down to the QB and read awhile.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 PM

FWs are twitchy little things. They require a little more knowhow than some machines. When I got mine, there was about 15 feet of black thread wrapped around the bobbin winder and like Joe said, behind the bobbin too. I kept pulling out thread until it was "plumb silly". With the new solid state controller from Sew-Classic.com, it runs better than new. It loves oil and the constant attention. The 301 is more robust and a whole lot less trouble. I like to piece on the FW though. Just keep petting it and it will sew very well.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:35 PM

I use leaders and enders and that keeps my machine happy. Had a friend that had a FW and she said it just stopped one day-couldn't get it to go. Thread wound around the bobbin area. Cleaned it out, oiled and lubed the machine and told her to look there if it ever did it again.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:55 PM

http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...MachineJam.php
Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 AM

Thank you, Tammi, for the above information. I printed it off, and am mailing it to my smart grandson in Texas and am asking him to check out my TX quilter friend's FW--they live in the same neighborhood, so I shouldn't have too much trouble bribing him to go over there for me.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:30 PM

Hey JoAnn, I hope it helps. Sorry for the "Drive by" instead of elaborating, I'm trying to manage way too many things at once at the moment, but wanted to help.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Had thread behind the bobbin case last month. Can usually do these repairs but taking the screw out did not work.
Apparently only for SOME models -depends on date of machine. Took to repair who let me watch --took bottom off and there was 2 screws that had to be removed before that bobbin case would ever have come off. My hubby had seen this
video too--He said --See I told you it wouldn't come off the way it's quoted. Hubby broke the hook trying to remove it
But, the wife of repairman told him to just take the one from her machine --same yr 1949 and she could get another.
We were shocked she would do this but I was thrilled and it's still working. Even a book I had showed like that video
but that will not do it all the time. Good Luck to you
I know how you feel about repair people --went 3 and half hours on the weekend to get to one. Made a mini vacation out of it.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
FWs are twitchy little things. They require a little more knowhow than some machines. When I got mine, there was about 15 feet of black thread wrapped around the bobbin winder and like Joe said, behind the bobbin too. I kept pulling out thread until it was "plumb silly". With the new solid state controller from Sew-Classic.com, it runs better than new. It loves oil and the constant attention. The 301 is more robust and a whole lot less trouble. I like to piece on the FW though. Just keep petting it and it will sew very well.
That's an impressive amount of thread to get in any machine before it jams completely. Must have took a lot of determination to get it all in there.
Rodney