Fell Off The Wagon Riccar 303

Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 PM

Default Fell Off The Wagon Riccar 303

I fell off the wagon this morning. I'd been doing pretty well on not bringing any more stray sewing machines home. I stopped by one of my favorite thrift stores today just to look (again). They actually had a lot of fun non-sewing stuff there too. They had an old Philco floor model radio, an old phonograph machine-it was old enough it deserves the name, and a couple antique tables plus a nice mid-century end table. Usually they don't get much in the way of true vintage or antique stuff there.

They had a Singer Golden Touch & Sew model 640 in decent shape for $30 that I passed on. We have 2 Touch & Sews already and I'm not interested in collecting the whole set.

I did see one machine that I decided I couldn't live without. It's a little newer than what I'd normally go for, it's a Riccar model 303 Super Stretch and I think it's pretty cool. If you love James Bond or the Transformers, you'll love this thing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]474711[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]474712[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]474713[/ATTACH]

I had to look pretty hard just to figure out how to open it. The Riccar emblems on the front and back are the latches. The power cord retracts into the front cover and the power/light switch is inside the front cover as well. If you look at the bed of the machine you'll see a buttonholer attachment. Unfortunately all the other attachments are long gone. The bobbin case and 1 bobbin are there though. I'm hoping that will be enough for me to find more that fit. It's not a class 15 for sure.

The machine doesn't have variable speed control, it has three speeds that you choose by pushing buttons. I'm not too crazy about that, I'm used to variable speed controllers, not pushing buttons.

There's only one small problem: it doesn't run. It has a broken hook gear and turns really stiffly by hand. I'm hoping the stiffness goes away when I replace the gear. I only payed $10 for the machine so I have some room to play with buying the parts it needs to work again.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]474714[/ATTACH]
Once I get it fixed I'm hoping it'll be a good machine for my daughter to bring to her 4H meetings. I love the way it folds up and all the built in storage it has.
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails riccar-303-002.jpg   riccar-303-003.jpg   riccar-303-004.jpg   riccar-303-001.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 PM
KLO

Now that's different. I like that it has the built in "beds" on the front and back but I am not sure what you do with the piece to the left of the needle. Is that just part of the case and is removable? It looks like it would be in the way for sewing. Oh wait, just check the photos again. Looks like it is not attached and is just the "do-dad" holder? Anyway, I sure hope you can get it going again (well, you are Rodney so my money is on you) because it is certainly a cool machine!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:31 PM

The left end is a 3 piece box that holds the buttonholer and other attachments. It looks like the right end piece is designed to hold something too but I'm not sure what. I think the lid is designed to hold extra bobbins but I'm not completely sure. This is one machine where the owner's manual would be more than just nice to have. I do like the way the case becomes ramps for your material. I'm a fan of large work surfaces for sewing.

This is going to be a learning experience for me. Mostly I've been lucky and my machines haven't needed much more than a good cleaning to run. At the very least I get to replace the hook gear and re-time this one before it will make a stitch again. I'm reasonably certain that the hook gear is a common weak spot on this model. It's pretty much the only plastic I saw under the machine. I also saw an expired ad on Ebay for one with the same problem. Maybe Riccar built in the weak spot on purpose instead of having something more troublesome break instead. Kind of like a fuse, only mechanical.
Rodney
Old 05-06-2014, 01:32 PM

Fun machine. I think I would have had to buy it too.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:37 PM

I'm attracted to "different" ! good luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:39 PM

OOh a transformer! More than meets the eye! lol! Really kind of a fun looking project you have there and 10.00 not too bad a deal!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:56 AM

Never seen one like it. Hope you can get it up and running again.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 AM

Keep us posted; I sewed on a Riccar once a long time ago, and was really impressed with it's abilities. Too much moola at the time for my enlisted husband's pay, though.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:56 AM

Very Nice! Just one more proof that I've got to come down there and check out your shops, because in Olympia when there are sewing machines they are usually plastic Kenmores and Singers. Or Touch & Sews.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:53 AM

Transformers...LOL. Yes, that is exactly what comes to mind. Enjoy playing around!