Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Finally got a White Family Rotary >

Finally got a White Family Rotary

Finally got a White Family Rotary

Old 04-16-2018, 06:03 PM

Default Finally got a White Family Rotary

I finally acquired an embossed White Family Rotary. At least, it looks just like one? The serial number reads 1X25848. It does not start with "FR". It came with an instruction booklet titled "Book No.12, Directions for Care and Use of White Rotary Electric Sewing Machines." It also came with the original White sales contract, showing that it was originally sold in the same city I bought it in. The sales contract lists the machine as "Style 79". It was purchased for $169, and paid off in payments. The first payment was made on June 4, 1931, and the last payment was made on August 1, 1931. The contact also seems to indicate that the buyer traded in an old machine for an allowance of $10 towards the White.

There was also a business card for the "Meier & Frank Co Sewing Machine Department". Handwritten on the back it says "2/9/54 Shop for estimate White Head Only Motor 1X25848".

I love having this much history with any antique or vintage item! Just for fun I decided to photograph it next to my embossed White 31 (the machine on the left).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dRDWJMMlqYKhh4mF3

Both Whites are the same size. The motor is mounted much higher on the 31. The embossing detail is different on the two except for on the beds. I think I prefer the embossing detail on the 31, but I adore the spoked handwheel on 1X. It has a very simple mechanism for disengaging the wheel for bobbin winding. Anyway, enjoy! I am addicted to Whites now.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 PM

I saw somebody post a picture of an embossed White on here and was like “Woah that’s so cool I want one” and then a few days later one came up for sale in my town so obviously I had to get it. I just wish they took regular feet and attachments
Old 04-17-2018, 05:57 PM

Here are two questions for y'all:

-Are there any aftermarket foot pedals that are readily available, that will work with these Whites? This looked as though it might fit.

-The bobbin winder on the 31 is very stiff. I can turn it by hand, but the handwheel isn't enough to turn it. Yes, it has been oiled...

Last edited by Seijun; 04-17-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Seijun View Post
Here are two questions for y'all:

-Are there any aftermarket foot pedals that are readily available, that will work with these Whites? This looked as though it might fit.

-The bobbin winder on the 31 is very stiff. I can turn it by hand, but the handwheel isn't enough to turn it. Yes, it has been oiled...
Have you tried kerosene? I also wonder about putting the bobbin end of the winder in the chuck of a drill to get it spinning enough to dislodge the gunk
Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Yeah, it got quite a heavy kerosene bath. I can try the drill idea.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 AM

I tried using a drill, soaked it in wd40 overnight, used the drill some more, flushed with kerosene, more drilling.. It has not made an ounce of difference :/ I even tried gently hammering the left-hand side to see if that would loosen anything. Is there a way to remove the winder from the rest of the assembly?
Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Seijun View Post
I tried using a drill, soaked it in wd40 overnight, used the drill some more, flushed with kerosene, more drilling.. It has not made an ounce of difference :/ I even tried gently hammering the left-hand side to see if that would loosen anything. Is there a way to remove the winder from the rest of the assembly?
I've messed with mine and can't figure out how to do it, cause it seems like its riveted together by the pin in the end. But the guy at the shop I took mine to did something to it that made it spin freely, so apparently it's possible somehow.