Flood damaged sewing stuff

Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 AM

What a mess to have to deal with. So sorry for all the damage. We had a similar problem to deal with a month ago when the bathroom stool insides broke and spewed water everywhere. Ran for about 3 hours before we knew about it.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 AM

Wish I lived close, I would be over to help you out. What a mess to deal with. Sorry you have to go through this!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:23 AM

Ugh. I am so sorry to hear this. I've been through water damage before and if you have the insurance let profesionals deal with it. I am sure it is taking a physical and emotional toll. We has huge blowers running at our home for several days and I know the constant sound can be very difficult.

I'm glad you are sharing and hope there are some local who can help.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 AM

Wish we had insurance. Had to let is lapse due to lack of funds.

Joe
Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Wish we had insurance. Had to let is lapse due to lack of funds.

Joe
Oh dear then this hits extra hard. Get things up off the floor and leave the blowers going then. You really need it dried out. Let your neighbors know you could use some help too. (((Joe)))
Old 09-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Banned

Homeowners insurance probably wouldn't have covered this anyway. Don't know about your state but in WA flood insurance is a separate policy altogether. Regular homeowners will cover a broken water pipe but not a natural flood.

Cari
Old 09-18-2014, 04:04 PM

sorry about your flooding.hope your machines are all ok.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM

Joe,

I am so sorry about the flood in your basement. In 1982, Ocala had a record rain -- something like 16 inches in one day. The shop where my husband worked was flooded by the excess from the retention pond across the street. I had driven to the shop to pick him up (we had a vehicle in the shop). The wind and rain had damaged the roof on the shop so employees were covering custom-built cabinets to keep them from getting wet(ter). Just a few minutes after I arrived, the water poured over into the shop premises. Fortunately for me, one of the guys there had a four-wheel drive vehicle and pulled my car up a rise and over a hill before it was damaged by water. By the time we left that evening, we waded water 3+ feet deep to get out of the building.

To try to shorten a long story, I sympathize with you on the flooding situation and wish I could help, but I'm too far away and too down-in-my back to be of any use to anyone right now. Sometimes just knowing that others care helps lighten the burdens! We do care!

Jeanette
Old 09-18-2014, 07:36 PM

So sorry, Joe...
I understand about the flooding...we used to flood everytime that it rained. We finally had to invest in flood control, which was way too expensive, but cheaper than losing so much every time it rained. Our insurance wouldn't cover the flooding and they wouldn't give us a policy for flood due to knowing we flood.
If I was in better shape right now I would drive down to help...but I'm having a flare up from my R.A. or Fibromyalgia. Dr. would have a fit if I attempted a drive that far...
I never had anything on the floor of our basement...everything had to be on a shelf at least 8" off the floor. I even had empty paint cans behind the old sofa so that I could put the sofa and chair up on the cans. If you can start bleaching a little at a time it will help.
Don't overdo it...we need you here. (((HUGS)))
Old 09-19-2014, 03:41 AM

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your wife. I can't stand the sound of fans running so I turned the stereo up to drown out their racket. After my 1st flooded basement I always kept waders at the top of stairway -just in case. My brother built me a 'deck' for the washer and dryer and shelves that were all 2 ft off the floor. I now live in a house w/o a basement and miss it. (the basement not the flooding) .Once you have things dried out keep your eyes open for mold.Wash it down with Ammonia-it is the only thing that kills mold. Bleach does not kill mold it only changes the color.