Found the floor!

Old 01-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Eventually all the treadle machines on the "wall" will have bases that fit into my converted parlor cabinet. Then no matter which one someone wants to try out, there will be a treadle it fits into. I also plan on making a universal hand crank that will mount to the same base for each machine.

Then - on to make a few collapsible treadle bases for traveling . . .
Fantastic! I love the idea of the "which one would you like to try?" setup. That is brilliant.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I am in awe of anyone with more than a 12. When I see more in a personal collection than I see in an antique store, it's like I just don't have the time I would like to have. Beautiful!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Eventually all the treadle machines on the "wall" will have bases that fit into my converted parlor cabinet. Then no matter which one someone wants to try out, there will be a treadle it fits into. I also plan on making a universal hand crank that will mount to the same base for each machine.

Then - on to make a few collapsible treadle bases for traveling . . .
Am wondering.....when will you have time to USE any of the machines? Sounds like a lot of work down the road to get all that done. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with the completion of your building.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:55 AM

Sharon, this is a long term project. It is mostly for education. My Singer collection (there are only a few Singers in that group) is my "personal" collection. The others are for the Museum. They are mostly top clamp machines or the older style where the foot goes directly on the bar instead of the adapter going on the bar and the foot to the adapter.

The true goal is the attachments. Detailed measurements of what each machine takes (I think I'm up to near 20 variations). And also shuttles/bobbins. A resource for those with machines so they can more easily figure out what will fit it.

For the collection- it's "High Arm" style machines, so late 1800's to mid 1940's.

I wanted one machine for each of the 12 Boye shuttle styles (still missing one). Boye researched machines and came up with these 12 to fit most US made machines available at the time (early 1900's). It does not include them ALL, only the more common. Though some of them went out of business around the same time frame

Older round bobbin machines

3/4 size machines of the same time period.

Chain Stitch machines of the same time period.

Post WW2 Japanese made "dash board" machines - just because they look so neat!

As to sewing, I like sewing more than I like sewing machines, so I make sure to find plenty of time for that! However most of the machines I use regularly aren't super old.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 AM

So, do you have an Eldredge Two Spool? I didn't see one in the pictures, but it's pretty hard to see what's there.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:37 AM

Maviskw, less than half the machines I own are in that room. Technically the two spool belongs to my husband, it's in a treadle cabinet in the bedroom.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:18 PM

*** Nice
*** If only I had theat much room.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM

I am green with envy! I don't have many vintage or antique machines...but someday! Would love to place them on the shelves in my sewing room window. Never open that window so it would be something really special for me. Besides...what a great security system...no one in their right mind would attempt to get in that window.