Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
you have  a treadle  but the top is bad >

you have a treadle but the top is bad

you have a treadle but the top is bad

Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Default you have a treadle but the top is bad

to far gone for you to repair.
1st pic. when I saw this, I thought it looked strange by it's color and texture. it rat holed so this pic is what I saw, I noticed at the side of the face piece ( center drawer) the hole and metal bracket no old time treadle cabinet ever had this.

next time there I moved things and looked close, that cabinet sits on a New home stand, now thinking it's very well home made, pieced together using other cabinet parts

This is stiil at Freds
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507107[/ATTACH]
always wondered what this type cabinet is all about, I bought it, sure looks like a treadle.

it's now being refinished, today I've taken the top apart, today it was remove the legs. two screws on each leg and they pop right off, with those off it will fit in a Honda

annnnd !!!!!

it is a treadle, all singer did was use the treadle plans and put wooden legs on that, but eliminated the center drawer , then added a rectangular frame work inside to support the new legs

a 21" wide cast iron treadle stand will fit right, but the most common singer treadle frame is 22" wide, to fit that this new support work needs to be removed.

now if you have a singer treadle and the top , upper section is bad. The upper portion of this is a direct fit, even the screw hole same in the same place, Thats the screws holding the top together, not the frame mount

the side drawer attach just the same as old cabinets.

the point , it would be a cheap way of getting repair pieces as opposed to making a new top.

veneer to recover a complete treadle top will run well over $100

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507109[/ATTACH]
A C/L add
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507110[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0323.jpg   100_0388.jpg   singer-stand-table.jpg  
Old 01-21-2015, 06:27 PM

You should be able to buy veneer cheaper than that. Most treadle cabinets are either going to be white oak or walnut. Here's an Ebay ad from Rockler.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flaky-Quarte...item3ce7179c6a
4ft x 3 ft would be enough to replace the top. If you need to replace more then you might have to buy 2 packs. Total would be around $50.
Admittedly that's only the wood. If you don't already have the supplies you're looking at more $ for glue, sandpaper, stain, varnish, etc.
Dang it, now you have me shopping veneer.
Rodney
Old 01-21-2015, 06:47 PM

rodney your not reading that add right, Thats a veneer pack . meaning a bunch of small pieces. there are only a few places that sell veneer sheets.

Th early singers cabinets are one piece of veneer not pieced together, should you try piecing together a cabinet, you'll not be happy.

a top, you have 5 piece of veneer needed each one would be called a larger piece, the main section of the cabinet will use a 18 x 24 piece next the piece a machine sits in 16 x 22, the lid TWO pieces at 16 x 22

go look up that much in those dimensions cabinet grade.

people always think this replacing veneer is cheap.

Then hope to heaven you don't screw any of that up.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:04 PM

Ok just one site, this 2 ply not sure if this was the paper or wood backed

this is 24 x 48 @ 51$ all that would cover is the main section of the cabinet would cover both side of the lid.

or the machine section, so 3 x's 51$ plus shipping and this will end up not looking right at the edge because it's 2 ply
Old 01-21-2015, 08:12 PM

In a way we're talking apples and oranges. You're looking at premade panels wide enough to cover the top and I'm pricing raw veneer that will most likely need a little work squaring the edges and gluing into a panel before it goes on the top. I don't think the paper backed veneer will change the appearance of the edge enough to matter. Two plys of wood would though.
The biggest issue is trying to get the new to match the old. The trees Singer was using are long gone. The old stuff was wider, tended to have tighter growth rings and had better flake patterns than the trees being harvested today. Now to get that quality you have to pay a premium when you find it.
Rodney
Old 01-21-2015, 09:18 PM

you can still get one ply oak, I found 3 places that have it. up until around 8/10 years ago I could get 2 ply oak 80 x 42 , one piece face sheet. It was a pain because I had to peel the edge down to one ply and recess the center to accept for the two ply. Those were $6 a sheet, what those where made for was Door skins

keep in mind using these cabinet is replacing the entire top as a unit, not small areas of veneer, This would be those that the core is rotten or just don't have anything at all.

as you know apples out here are free, where oranges go for big $$$ lolol

my cabinet will go back to what it is, the 15-91 goes back in it.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM

10x,

Well, when I read the subject of your thread I thought about posting my redone 9W-7 treadle. Then I read it all and decided to post the links anywho.

{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t194998.html }
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t204377.html }
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t218398.html }

As I said in my text the one thing I regret is replacing the veneer on the top cover. I could have, and should have reglued all the top pieces. Had I done so the top would have matched and looked much better.

Joe
Old 01-22-2015, 10:08 AM

I purchased mine at Menards about 20 yrs ago I don't know if they still sell it in sheets. You may also try asking the clerk at Lowes -Menards or Home Depot's Contractor's desk if they can get it for you. Also try calling Cabinet Makers and ask if they can get it for you or give you the names of their suppliers. For matching the new to the old stain go to Sherwin Williams paint store-take a drawer and the new veneer with you. Each different kind of wood will change how stain comes out.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:12 AM

ok this has gone totally off topic.

This is about when you don't have a cabinet or when what you do have is not repairable.

with the idea given to those that don't have the tooling or area to do this repair work, using these cabinets as parts it could be done in your kitchen with a screw driver

no saws, drills, routers, sanders, gluing clamps , stains dust , dirt noise and cussing

to make those look like a fancy cabinet you can buy real wood appliques
Old 01-22-2015, 10:36 AM

I knew those tops looked a lot like the treadle tops. I'm not terribly surprised that they are the same once the legs are removed. It is a good idea if you can find one cheap enough and have a set of irons that needs saved. The last treadle I bought the wood was in bad shape but the head and irons were ok so I bought it as a parts treadle. It would have been really easy to switch the irons to a new cabinet using your method.
Rodney