Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Free #5 can I find parts for this? >

The Free #5 can I find parts for this?

The Free #5 can I find parts for this?

Old 12-11-2014, 03:17 PM

Default The Free #5 can I find parts for this?

I have the opportunity to purchase this. But....are parts available or any interchangeable with Singer? What about bobbins? And needle size? I like the looks of the machine but don't need one I can't actually use. [ATTACH=CONFIG]502182[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Singer part are not interchangeable. It will take a 15X1 needle you can get anywhere. This is a very good machine. You may have trouble finding the slide plates.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:58 PM

first is what the price is ? only parts missing is the slide plates. the shuttle is in there, good chance a bobbin in that.

that machine does have nice decals on it. free #5's are fairly common. There's one here for sale , seems like there was or is a #5 head on goodwill.

have you ever sewn on a VS machine ?

I forget who made those ? national maybe ? but it was a major company. there is a chance of finding plates. it's like that brunswick I posted. it a national made machine, the plates will slide in they do work. but there to long and the arch at the needle plate doesn't match up. I'm using the shuttle, but it seems just a hair to long at the tip

I have another Brunswick a little newer the plates are to wide and that shuttle is to short.

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 12-11-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:01 PM

I have my Grandmother's Free No. 5 treadle. I downloaded the manual from the ISMACs website. Whenever I oil the machine I get out the manual to make sure I get all of the places. There is also a wick for keeping the shuttle oiled.

The Free no 5 uses regular needles. I was lucky and got a belt and extra bobbins at my local sewing machine store. It helps to know the local repairmen.

Boyle made replacement shuttles for the machine.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:15 PM

Workable slide plates can also be made if you can't find actual replacements. You might also get lucky and the parts might be in one of the drawers. That art nouveau peacock is on of my favorite decal patterns.
Rodney
Old 12-11-2014, 04:39 PM

Free made Free - and you may find the slide plates from a Singer 127 will fit. They do take the same needle, shuttle and bobbin as Singer. They aren't hard to find, so if you get one with great decals, then look for a donor machine with bad decals for the other parts.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:47 PM

Well to me most important is common needle, so that's a relief. Thanks Glenn.
I too downloaded the manual from ISMACS. I have two vibrating shuttle machine that I currently use....both Singers. They are a little clackity but I like playing on them.

I sure wish I had a relative like Steve H in my family, lol. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to go about having ones made Rodney. Lol. And I agree, I love those peacock decals!

The gal selling is asking too much but I already gave her a heads up I would not offer her that much but she could wait to see if it sold at her asking price first and contact me if she decided she wanted to negotiate. I like the cabinet it comes in also. We will see.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Free made Free - and you may find the slide plates from a Singer 127 will fit. They do take the same needle, shuttle and bobbin as Singer. They aren't hard to find, so if you get one with great decals, then look for a donor machine with bad decals for the other parts.
Woo Hoo thanks Cathy! I was typing and sending same time as you so just saw your post. I am happy to hear that. That is what I was hoping.....potential 127 parts.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Yes - the slide plates from a Singer 27 (I don't have a 127 easily accessible right now)

Will fit on a Free

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-11-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:58 PM

Well that seals the deal! Thanks for taking the time to check that out Cathy. Much appreciated.