• For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Free Sewing Machine need a bit of help >
  • Free Sewing Machine need a bit of help

• Free Sewing Machine need a bit of help

Old 02-16-2023, 08:34 AM

Smile Free Sewing Machine need a bit of help

Hello and Good Day!
    Thank you for letting me join!
    I have recently acquired a "Free Sewing Machine" I've spent a while researching for info. It doesn't appear to be a Free-Westinghouse version, though it does have a westinghouse motor style no. 577800.
    I will try to post a few pics.
    Old 02-16-2023, 08:35 AM

Default forgot the pics

Here are the pics
    Attached Thumbnails free-cabinet.jpg   free-machine.jpg   free-motor-plate.jpg  
    Old 02-16-2023, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by wintermyst
    Here are the pics
    a
    I love to rotoscillo movements in these. This is a fancy one with ball bearings. Welcome aboard.
    Attached Thumbnails free-rotoscillo-balls-b.jpg  
    Old 02-16-2023, 09:07 AM

Two of mine. I love how the table opens to the back.
    Attached Thumbnails free-2-vsms-b.jpg  
    Old 02-16-2023, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by leonf
    a
    I love to rotoscillo movements in these. This is a fancy one with ball bearings. Welcome aboard.
    I seen that in my research, so beautiful! Thank you for sharing.
    Old 02-16-2023, 09:32 AM

That is so fascinating. I've never seen one open from the back like that.
    Old 02-16-2023, 09:53 AM

Welcome, wintermyst. I'm not finding any Free's with the stitch length thumb screw on the pillar. I'm wondering if the manual found at http://ismacs.net/free/manuals/freevs-c-e-ce-manual.pdf would be helpful.

Your machine also looks narrower then the CE model seen at free westinghouse CE How wide is it from side to side?

Have you tried sewing with it? It looks like it has a needle and I know some Free machines take an odd needle that is no longer made.

There may be a serial number on the front bed under the front side plate. Or it could be some place else. There were some machines that the serial number was on the slide plate and frequently lost.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 02-16-2023, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
    Welcome, wintermyst. I'm not finding any Free's with the stitch length thumb screw on the pillar. I'm wondering if the manual found at http://ismacs.net/free/manuals/freevs-c-e-ce-manual.pdf would be helpful.

Your machine also looks narrower then the CE model seen at free westinghouse CE How wide is it from side to side?

Have you tried sewing with it? It looks like it has a needle and I know some Free machines take an odd needle that is no longer made.

There may be a serial number on the front bed under the front side plate. Or it could be some place else. There were some machines that the serial number was on the slide plate and frequently lost.

Hi Janey,
    Measuring left to right 13" Front to Back 7"
    I know the cabinet looks very much like the one on ISMAC "various models" link no.241 CE

Yes, I have been sewing with it. It has been working but i'm still getting it back to a "loved" condition, as i've only had it for about two weeks. lots of cleaning and oiling.I pulled the needle and i think it says 70/10 or is that 70/16, but i'll also post some pics of it
    Attached Thumbnails free-serial-number.jpg   behind-front-plate.jpg   sewing-needle.jpg  
    Old 02-16-2023, 10:41 AM

Default pic of bottom

Thought i'd post this one whilst i was at it.
    Attached Thumbnails free-bottom.jpg   needle-length.jpg  
    Old 02-16-2023, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by wintermyst
    Hi Janey,
    Measuring left to right 13" Front to Back 7"....I pulled the needle and i think it says 70/10 or is that 70/16, but i'll also post some pics of it
    Interesting, I just measured one of my full size machines and it was over 14" wide, but the 3/4 Joske measured a bit over 12". I wonder if yours would be considered a 7/8ths machine LOL.

The needle would be a 70/10 which is quite fine. Here is a sewing machine needle chart https://i0.wp.com/blog.treasurie.com...-1024x1024.jpg which I found on this page https://blog.treasurie.com/sewing-machine-needle-sizes/ As noted in the chart, the smaller numbers are the American sizes and the corresponding European sizes. Here is a chart that many vintage (American) Singer manuals had showing which thread, fabric and needle sizes are to be used. The size is the common needle that most common household sewing machines use. Yeah!!

Have you been able to find a serial number? Although, now that I think of it, probably wouldn't help a lot to determine the age of the machine. Singer had kept serial numbers up until about the 1950s. Although the pre-1900 machines, they didn't keep track of the serial numbers went to which machines. New Home has some serial numbers and associated dates. From my understanding there is some connection between Free & New Home. The New Home serial numbers include machines made in Rockford, Illinois. https://www.janome.com/siteassets/su...anufacture.pdf

Have fun with your "new" machine.