free westinghouse CE

Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 PM

Default free westinghouse CE

I finally got finished with my refurb project on the 15-30 and the 7 drawer cabinet. Came out better than I expected. One of these days I'll figure out how to post pictures.

Well today another surprise fell into my lap. While checking out a Craigslist find of a antique record cabinet that I got for a ridiculous price of $5. The fellow showed me some other cabinets that he had stuffed in the back of a garage. What did my little eye spy but what looked like a machine cabinet. He pulled it out and it was in fair condition pretty solid wood. I opened it up and pulled out a Free Westinghouse CE19153. I took it for only $10. I am totally unfamiliar with this machine and can't seem to find any info or videos. It has a shuttle bobbin which I have never dealt with before. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
TIA DonnaB
Old 07-31-2015, 03:44 AM

Hi Donna,

Good deal. The owners manual should answer some of your questions though this was for a treadle.

http://ismacs.net/free/manuals/freevs-c-e-ce-manual.pdf

My Free VS uses 15x1 needles and Singer long bobbins.

Jon
Old 07-31-2015, 05:19 AM

Donna,

My Free Long Bobbin Rotary is a CE model, and it's the quietest smoothest running VS machine I own. There's nothing exotic about it other than the motor mounting design, but that's not too bad either.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526510[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]526511[/ATTACH]

Mine's a portable (In name only, it weighs a ton.) so I,m really interested in seeing your cabinet model.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails free-frt-rt-view.jpg   img_2864.jpg  
Old 07-31-2015, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Joe, I have an 'Apartment' sewing machine with the same motor and the case looks similar, too.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 AM

Portable is a relative term. In very old machinery portable meant the motor was attached. Stationary machines ran off flat belts with a separate power source. I have a 12" Red Star radial arm saw from the late 40s. The manual describes it as "easily carried by two men" for taking it to job sites. It has a cabinet on the bottom and weighs in the neighborhood of 200 pounds. 2 men might be able to carry it but it's not easy.
In your sewing machine's case portable just means it's in a carrying case and not a cabinet.
Rodney
Old 08-01-2015, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Joe, I have an 'Apartment' sewing machine with the same motor and the case looks similar, too.
You could post a picture ....... we like pictures.

Joe
Old 08-01-2015, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Portable is a relative term. In very old machinery portable meant the motor was attached. Stationary machines ran off flat belts with a separate power source. I have a 12" Red Star radial arm saw from the late 40s. The manual describes it as "easily carried by two men" for taking it to job sites. It has a cabinet on the bottom and weighs in the neighborhood of 200 pounds. 2 men might be able to carry it but it's not easy.
In your sewing machine's case portable just means it's in a carrying case and not a cabinet.
Rodney
I found that machine in a thrift store right after we moved to Springfield. I paid the price, and about threw my back out carrying it across the street to where my wife's truck was being worked on. Without weighing it I'm pretty sure it weights close to 50 pounds.

One of these days I'll get it set up and make something worthwhile with it.
One things for sure, it doesn't scoot across the table while you're using it.

Joe
Old 08-01-2015, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
You could post a picture ....... we like pictures.

Joe
Joe, If I were living at home I could easily shoot a pic. I'm trying to take care of two dementia parents at their house. I rarely get out the door.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Joe, If I were living at home I could easily shoot a pic. I'm trying to take care of two dementia parents at their house. I rarely get out the door.
That's gotta be tough to do. Hang in there.

Joe