Gellman Sew Queen

Old 06-30-2015, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Annette,

The chain drive is pretty interesting. The light would be a definite challenge to rewire, might be better off replacing or doing away with if it proves difficult to seperate. Motor not so bad once you know how its done. Between this and the White rotary you'd have to ask myself how much you like these machines and how much time, effort , and money your willing to put into them. You'd certainly learn some new skills if you did the work yourself. Personally, I'd look for a different project closer to my interests but a few years ago I would have dove right into it.

Good Luck,
Jon
I'm curious as to why you think the light would be a challenge?? It looks to me that there are some set screws to hold wire and socket (which looks like a standard lamp socket). If it was painted after assembled, I would think that some paint might get chipped getting it apart. It would be a whole lot easier to be rewired than some of the internally wired lights and for me a LOT easier to rewire than a motor.

Annette, that machine itself look good and with it having the attachments and manual and being so complete, I would think it would be worth it - if for no other reason then the self satisfaction of getting a neat machine back into working condition.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:49 PM

I like Janeys answer. I wanted to learn how to take a motor apart. when a kenmore came that needed rewiring, I went for it. Not the easiest but I tried. it still smokes. I think I have too much oil/lube in there somewhere. but I tried. I'm not so afraid to take a motor apart now. I also had to learn how to solder, for the rewire, and that I can do now. my son showed me how.

GO FOR IT! YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 06-30-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I'm curious as to why you think the light would be a challenge?? It looks to me that there are some set screws to hold wire and socket (which looks like a standard lamp socket). If it was painted after assembled, I would think that some paint might get chipped getting it apart. It would be a whole lot easier to be rewired than some of the internally wired lights and for me a LOT easier to rewire than a motor.

Annette, that machine itself look good and with it having the attachments and manual and being so complete, I would think it would be worth it - if for no other reason then the self satisfaction of getting a neat machine back into working condition.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Hi,

The light appears to be crimped together from the pic. Sometimes you can pry them apart without trouble and sometimes not without difficulty to access the wiring. Anyone who's worked on a 1920's Singer 99 metal lamp to replace the wiring will know what I mean. Not fun. Never hurts to take a look for yourself though.

Just a friendly reminder this can be potentially very dangerous stuff.

Jon
Old 06-30-2015, 07:28 PM

I've disected a Bernina 830 motor a couple times. And I can solder, but it's not pretty. I really want to do this! Finding the time is a challenge -- I work and run a small business from home. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:35 PM

Yes, I understand about the lamp being crimped together. And If I'm careful, I can crimp it back together. I should be able to figure it out.

As my boss says, "we don't want to do any welding." But then, he's 230 pounds of muscle, and takes a shock better than I do.

I'll bet we've got some wire I can use in the "bone yard" at the shop.

Thanks!