Gellman Sew Queen

Old 06-23-2015, 07:13 PM

Default Gellman Sew Queen

I'm trying to decide if a couple machines are worth fixing. The first is a Gellman Sew Queen. It's got a lot of accessories, but the electrical is a mess. I've never re-wired a vintage machine. It it that hard to do?
Attached Thumbnails sew-queen-back.jpg   sew-queen-front.jpg   sew-queen-inside.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 08:54 PM

Annette,

The chain drive is pretty interesting. The light would be a definite challenge to rewire, might be better off replacing or doing away with if it proves difficult to seperate. Motor not so bad once you know how its done. Between this and the White rotary you'd have to ask myself how much you like these machines and how much time, effort , and money your willing to put into them. You'd certainly learn some new skills if you did the work yourself. Personally, I'd look for a different project closer to my interests but a few years ago I would have dove right into it.

Good Luck,
Jon
Old 06-24-2015, 06:11 AM

Thanks, Jon. I could do without the light. But I'd really like to learn how to re-wire a motor. What have I got to loose?

What are the chances of breaking the take-up on the White Rotary, if I try to bend it?
Old 06-24-2015, 06:49 AM

Nice find!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 AM

The American-made Gellman Sew-Gem is an interesting machine in several ways. Besides the unique chain-drive that Jon mentioned, it is also one of the few machines with a right-hand round bobbin. The bobbin is on the right side of the needle, beneath the front slide plate that is similar to a vibrating shuttle (long bobbin) machine. The larger square end slide plate doesn’t have anything under it. I guess that it was put there to make it look like a regular sewing machine of the day? If you don’t feel like re-wiring it, I think it’s unique enough to just have setting around as a conversation piece. I haven’t seen many of them.

Here’s a photo of my Gellman Sew-Gem 215, serial #R016837.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine382_05.jpg  
Old 06-24-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Thanks, Jon. I could do without the light. But I'd really like to learn how to re-wire a motor. What have I got to loose?

What are the chances of breaking the take-up on the White Rotary, if I try to bend it?

50-50? Worst comes to worst a replacement shouldn't be too hard to find as these are very common machines. If you have a propane torch you might want to try gently heating the bent lever before bending on low flame without scorching the faceplate paint.

Jon
Old 06-24-2015, 07:09 PM

Yea, I kinda like the Gellman. It's pretty unique.

I don't have a propane torch. Would my Weller Soldering Gun get anywhere hot enough to help bend the take-up?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 PM

I'd use a torch or perhaps remove the part, heat, and slowly bend in a vise or similar set up. No guarantees which ever method you try but its not a rare part. Perhaps put the White rotary on time out while you work on the Sew Queen.

Jon
Old 06-25-2015, 04:45 AM

Sounds good. I'll keep my eye out for a new part. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:10 AM

I told my husband that a Sew-Gem was on my list to get some day - he said "good"