Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
German Vintage Machines and Their Ingenious Features >

German Vintage Machines and Their Ingenious Features

German Vintage Machines and Their Ingenious Features

Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 PM

The different mechanisms make me wonder why Singer went with such a different system with the washers. It seems more complex (to me at least) to have such a set up. I wonder if there is some sort of mechanical advantage to doing it one way or another. Now I'm going to be like a 3-year-old with "why??"
Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Muv

Bennett - I've always wondered why too. Perhaps it was cheaper to manufacture with a stop motion screw. There is an extra cast iron component with the notch system, but not that that would make a huge difference I would have thought.

Now for the bobbin winder. There is no moving arm to take the thread from side to side. Instead it passes over the curved edge of the metal plate shown in the second picture. Somehow (the dynamics of it all completely passes me by) it winds from side to side, and changes direction as soon as it reaches the notch at the side. It winds a beautifully tight and even bobbin - much better than any Singer I have.

Must try and remember to dust the machine before taking pictures rather than after.
Attached Thumbnails fr-thistle-018.jpg   fr-thistle-021.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 03:14 PM

Muv, I love this post!!! I have some Pfaffs and haven't really worked on them, you've inspired me to get busy.

Miriam, I just found out that the 401G can be a treadle! I've been looking for a motor for mine for months. Cranky posted to me that it could be a treadle and how to tell. Now, I've got to get another treadle to set it up in. You said it shreds belts. Do they just come apart and would you have a solution for that?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grannysewer View Post
Muv, I love this post!!! I have some Pfaffs and haven't really worked on them, you've inspired me to get busy.

Miriam, I just found out that the 401G can be a treadle! I've been looking for a motor for mine for months. Cranky posted to me that it could be a treadle and how to tell. Now, I've got to get another treadle to set it up in. You said it shreds belts. Do they just come apart and would you have a solution for that?
I should start a different thread on this or PM - it is late for me tonight - maybe over the week end. I can do some pics and let you know what I have found so far.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 PM

The very old White's (pre 1890's) used a lot of similar features found on the German machines such as the bobbin winder and stop motion works. Obviously it just never caught on in America and the Germans took to it .
The only thing protecting the US from Germany's low cost sewing machines (cheap labor) were tariffs that made the playing field more even in selling price.

Jon

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
The different mechanisms make me wonder why Singer went with such a different system with the washers. It seems more complex (to me at least) to have such a set up. I wonder if there is some sort of mechanical advantage to doing it one way or another. Now I'm going to be like a 3-year-old with "why??"
Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grannysewer View Post
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ine-manual.pdf
This is for the 411G but it will show how the 401G is set up in a treadle and how to chain stitch the 401G - they do that too!

Someone I know used a 2mm diameter polycord belt from a spinning supply store to drive it with no shredding. She said she ordered the longest piece she could so she would have a spare. http://www.spinnerschoice.com/Spinni...s/default.html (where she found it - scroll down) If you set it too tight remember it won't stretch.

To do it without trying to grind something off the existing balance wheel we put in a bushing, 7/8” inch interior diameter, 1/16” thick, metal will work - goes way inside by the shaft. Then we pulled the motor - too much friction with it in. You may not have a bobbin winder - the wheel on it may not be big enough to still hit the wheel.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:21 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ine-manual.pdf
This is for the 411G but it will show how the 401G is set up in a treadle and how to chain stitch the 401G - they do that too!

Someone I know used a 2mm diameter polycord belt from a spinning supply store to drive it with no shredding. She said she ordered the longest piece she could so she would have a spare. http://www.spinnerschoice.com/Spinni...s/default.html (where she found it - scroll down) If you set it too tight remember it won't stretch.

To do it without trying to grind something off the existing balance wheel we put in a bushing, 7/8” inch interior diameter, 1/16” thick, metal will work - goes way inside by the shaft. Then we pulled the motor - too much friction with it in. You may not have a bobbin winder - the wheel on it may not be big enough to still hit the wheel.
Thanks, maybe you could put up a post on how to change to treadle. I can read pictures easier than words sometime. This machine so new looking, I don't think it was ever used. Previous owners might not have realized it was a treadle.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Oh Muv, my imagination has run wild, but alas, there is no one to ask! The machine was donated to a local thrift store.

I would SO love to know the story behind this machine!
Develop your own story (fictional) based on your research. Sounds like a book in the making... in your spare time

Actually, it could be very enlightening.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM

In the process of cleaning the Köhler, and I saw this "thing" on the machine that I had no idea of what it was or what it was for. It almost looks like it's meant to hold the thread in the tension disks while sewing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342340[/ATTACH]Note that the Presser foot lift bar is up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342341[/ATTACH]With the presser foot bar down.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342342[/ATTACH]Position of the "finger" when the foot is up.

Position when the foot is down...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342343[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag0029-533x800-.jpg   imag0030-533x800-.jpg   imag0031-533x800-.jpg   imag0032-533x800-.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Muv

Morning Charlee - Pretty machine! Lots of muck for you to clean off, so you will be extra proud when you have finished. Be sure to post an "after" picture here.

Is that thing the automatic tension release, so the thread runs free when the foot is up? Does it hook round the edge of the disc nearest the machine and hold it back? Also, have the tension discs got a layer of felt on them? I have found a felt ring on the tension assembly on a German machine.