Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
German Vintage Machines and Their Ingenious Features >

German Vintage Machines and Their Ingenious Features

German Vintage Machines and Their Ingenious Features

Old 06-16-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ine-manual.pdf
This is for the 411G but it will show how the 401G is set up in a treadle and how to chain stitch the 401G - they do that too!
Miriam...thank you!!!! for this link. I just purchased a 401g, this week, and I have been looking for a manual for it. I have one for the 401a but the german version 401 is just a little bit different (bobbin winder). Mine has a little extension with 2 drawers.

Also, since you posted a picture of yours with a treadle belt I now know what that little rectangular thing, on the right hand side, is....a place for the treadle belt to run through.

Here is my first german machine:
Attached Thumbnails resized-pic-401g.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
Miriam...thank you!!!! for this link. I just purchased a 401g, this week, and I have been looking for a manual for it. I have one for the 401a but the german version 401 is just a little bit different (bobbin winder). Mine has a little extension with 2 drawers.

Also, since you posted a picture of yours with a treadle belt I now know what that little rectangular thing, on the right hand side, is....a place for the treadle belt to run through.

Here is my first german machine:
I have the extention table for my 411G - isn't it neat?
Here is a link for a manual for the 411G - it should be the same. Did you know those will do a chain stitch???
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...2004a2bc25.pdf - this one is international I guess - no words... and another manual for a 411G http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ine-manual.pdf
There isn't a whole bunch of difference between the 401 and the 411
Old 06-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

There is a channel for the belt to go through in the back of the machine - look in the motor compartment.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have the extention table for my 411G - isn't it neat?
Here is a link for a manual for the 411G - it should be the same. Did you know those will do a chain stitch???
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...2004a2bc25.pdf - this one is international I guess - no words... and another manual for a 411G http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ine-manual.pdf
There isn't a whole bunch of difference between the 401 and the 411
Awesome....thanks so much!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Muv

Cathy - That's a really smart looking machine! I've never seen one of those extensions with drawers before. I'm sure you will get plenty of use from your machine, it is in such good condition.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 PM

Cathy, I posted my pic of my 401G on the vintage photos. They look the same, except you have the extention table. Would love to find one of those!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Morning Charlee - Pretty machine! Lots of muck for you to clean off, so you will be extra proud when you have finished. Be sure to post an "after" picture here.

Is that thing the automatic tension release, so the thread runs free when the foot is up? Does it hook round the edge of the disc nearest the machine and hold it back? Also, have the tension discs got a layer of felt on them? I have found a felt ring on the tension assembly on a German machine.
Lots of muck to be sure, and that's AFTER I cleaned out some lint balls large enough to keep for pets and name!

That thing isn't an automatic tension release, I don't think. It doesn't SEEM to do much of anything. The "finger" of it is smooth and just rests against the tension disks, it doesn't move them, or hold them back in anyway. There is a thin felt between the first washer and the pair of disks.

This has, to date, been the most interesting machine! Not only is the cabinet unique to me, but parts of the machine are. It's just as curious to me that so much of the machine is like the Singer 115, which production stopped on in the early 1920's. (There were only about 300,000 model 115's made) After attempting to smooth out the clear coat using Skip's method of French Polishing, I find that it doesn't have a shellac coating, must be lacquer.

I did find with the scrutiny of a strong flashlight, that someone, most likely a very young someone, etched the initials "E.F." into the bed of the machine.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 AM

Ok you guys what is going on with this thread? All the posts from 21 to 41 are missing? I have tried, but it goes from post 20 to post 41 - what happened to posts 21 to 40, they are gone?

Nancy
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 AM

Nancy, they show up on my computer.... I dunno!!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Nancy, they show up on my computer.... I dunno!!
ditto here