Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 PM

Ummm, okay. . . http://swmi.craigslist.org/atq/4349567205.html
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 PM

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectib...ationFlag=true

A silver 15-91 for $20, and it comes with a punch bowl!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 PM

I'm filing this one under "Good luck with that"
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=569935805

Looking for a free vintage Bernina in working condition.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I think the highest I've seen so far is around $200, maybe $250. Anything over $150 is at the high end of the range to me. I've seen them as low as $50 too. Black ones seem to go higher than the beige, I haven't seen that many oyster ones yet, maybe they can go higher. They go for less than the featherweights but are still popular enough to bring more money than your average machine.

There are currently 4 on shopgoodwill at the moment, the 2 black ones stand to break the $200 mark. I checked a few completed listings on Ebay, I saw a black one at $250 and a couple of oyster ones with accessories that went for good money, one at $275 and one at $300. I also saw a bunch that finished significantly lower than that.

The one we're talking about still appears to me to be at the high end of the range. If you don't want one "right now" it's pretty easy to get a better price on one.

I was partially right but I was wrong too. The black ones and oyster ones do tend to go a little higher than I thought. I said around $250 max but there are enough examples higher than that to prove me wrong. Way to rub it in, I had to walk away from a black one at $50 a short while ago.

You've been playing with these machines a lot longer than me, what's your expectations on prices Miriam?
Rodney
I've been playing with these a long time, yes. But they don't sell for me - especially the ugly beige ones. And I think they sew better. People are going by looks I guess. Mine just sit there. I don't understand - even with a great price for a fully serviced machine they sit. I think way too many are wanting the $50 machine in the $150 condition. Then there are some with lots of cool attachments - they sit, too. I have an ugly worn one nobody wants but it runs slicker than snot on a doorknob because it is so well used...
Old 02-26-2014, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectib...ationFlag=true

A silver 15-91 for $20, and it comes with a punch bowl!
Good price for a nickel-plated 15-90. Would be even better if it comes with the foot controller, though I can't tell if it has a motor in that picture.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I've been playing with these a long time, yes. But they don't sell for me - especially the ugly beige ones. And I think they sew better. People are going by looks I guess. Mine just sit there. I don't understand - even with a great price for a fully serviced machine they sit. I think way too many are wanting the $50 machine in the $150 condition. Then there are some with lots of cool attachments - they sit, too. I have an ugly worn one nobody wants but it runs slicker than snot on a doorknob because it is so well used...
Crazy isn't it? Could it just be your local market causing the slow sales?

If I wasn't confident I could work on the machine myself I would much rather buy from someone like you where I could sit down and try the machine first then walk away knowing that it's been gone through and is in good working condition.

If I was new to sewing machines and you put both in front of me I would buy the 301 over a featherweight even if they were both priced the same. Sometimes size does matter and though the featherweights are cute, they give you a tiny amount of work area and the 301s aren't heavy enough for the difference to matter if you're carrying one around.

Most old sewing machines are under priced for what you get. We live in a society where new and shiny rules. It's good if you're a buyer but selling them looks like work to me. If a machine needing work is bought for $20 but will only sell for $50 after it's serviced that doesn't leave a lot for the seller.

Rodney
Old 02-26-2014, 01:19 PM

I'm tempted by your 185 on Craigslist Miriam.
Sorely.
Tempted.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I'm tempted by your 185 on Craigslist Miriam.
Sorely.
Tempted.
I haven't let the DGDs see it - it is a sweet little machine.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:23 AM

Default Cute Hand Cranks are always across the pond, like...

this one. I would buy it, even though it's newer and Japanese, but http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-New...item27df5b5265

photo by thesewingmachineguyian seller on that auction site.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM

I shouldn't have gave mine away....
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/atq/4352177905.html

Oldsewandsew: I like that green one.
Rodney