Got any Tool Tips?

Old 03-17-2014, 03:33 PM

I use a rechargeable electric tooth brush to work my polish (I use a paste called Wenol) onto uneven surfaces like screws.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:28 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467803[/ATTACH]
screwholding drivers, the upper two, wedge open into the screw slot. Sometimes getting them back in is as hard as getting them out!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467804[/ATTACH] A little lathe that will work on metal, as well as wood and plastic, part of a past obsession. Great for repairs, fabricating and modifying. Here seen on a bearing race for a Davis NVF shuttle pivot arm bearing race.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467807[/ATTACH]Things to cut shape and bend springs, clips, etc.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467810[/ATTACH]cheap calipers, and engineers scales
Attached Thumbnails 2013-08-14-21.41.38.jpg   2014-03-17-18.00.39.jpg   2013-08-15-21.20.13.jpg   2014-01-05-07.58.52.jpg  
Old 03-18-2014, 09:29 PM

I would love to have a lathe! I think we have the same calipers. They're invaluable. Besides the usual - feeler gauges, screwdrivers, etc. These would be my favorite "tools":

My Lazy Susan - You can see (and hear it) in the video I posted in the 201 tension problem thread. I use it extensively for almost every machine. On a day when I've wrenched my back (like today) it's invaluable. I only had to pick the machine up to put it on the table and to take it off and put it back in its cabinet. Every other time I spun it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467951[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467952[/ATTACH]

My favorite screwdriver - It's a MegaPro? I don't know if the tips are hollow ground or not, but they're very "blocky" and an extremely good fit for most screws. I don't strip things with these ones and the bits are only a couple of dollars at the Nut and Bolt places. Usually this screwdriver has a piece of tubing over the shank to protect the paint on the machines too. The magnets are sanity savers :
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467953[/ATTACH]

This is one half of the kit I take to a local shop where I work on their machines. The other half contains the usual screwdrivers, popsicle sticks, needles, flashlights, paint brushes, syringes, hemostats, pliers, etc. The "greenie" in the middle of the case - about 4 - 5" of pool noodle. I use it to prop machines on so the light doesn't get bashed, or I don't have to rest the machine on its paint. You'll see it in the background of nearly any shot of a machine on my bench. The flexible extension (in the orange case) is a life saver as well. I use it most for the throat plate screws lately. Guitar Picks - for prying apart plastic pieces on newer machines - like the sergers - without leaving marks. Flannel rags for "environmentally friendly" clean up or test sew fabric in a pinch. Coins for loosening the motor caps.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467954[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4628.jpg   img_4629.jpg   img_4633.jpg   img_1453.jpg  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 PM

A flex neck screw driver!! http://www.amazon.com/ARTESIA-TOOL-F.../dp/B001CWHU94 This is not the exact set up i use but It's one i have that is similar. I have one that can attach to an electric drill. Ya know, for that extra UmPh! lol I also have a green screwdriver i found some where a long time a go that actually fits almost all of my machines.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 PM

Rigged this up for testing motors that have short pigtails and an AC plug. Or I can put one on them temporarily.
Could be even fancier, but I used thrift/recycle components. This way I don't need a foot feed, and can leave it running part throttle for a bit to let a drop of oil work in or, check the speed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468969[/ATTACH] It is basically an AC pigtail wired to a plastic outlet box, with a duplex receptacle, and a light dimmer. (yes you can use those with this type of motor) Also doubles as a dimmer for the lamp in the work room, er uh "guest room".
Another doo-hickey made from thrift/recycle found photo enlarger, is a stand for my digital camera. It comes with a built in lamp, and you can adjust the height, and angle of the camera. Its base is also a nice white backdrop.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468970[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2014-03-23-18.57.51.jpg   2014-03-18-08.40.07.jpg  
Old 03-26-2014, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

I have a box and foot control mounted to one of my benches but I never thought of that dimmer. I like that a lot.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:34 AM

Dentist tools You can buy inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight. They are the best for getting into tight places and for safely removing stuck on grease. I also seem to use a lot of artist brushes.

The dimmer switch idea can also regulate a foot control if you want consistent speed.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Dentist tools You can buy inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight. They are the best for getting into tight places and for safely removing stuck on grease. I also seem to use a lot of artist brushes.

The dimmer switch idea can also regulate a foot control if you want consistent speed.
A tooth pick works for tight places and won't cause any burrs. I have some kind of joined together chip sticks - I wrap a little rag around to get in tight places. I also have some hemostats to pull out threads or just clamp something in place or get in a tight space with a little rag.

I keep an old empty ketchup bottle in Wilbur's tools so he can blow out lint on the old machines.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:55 AM

><<<an AC pigtail wired to a plastic outlet box, with a duplex receptacle, and a light dimmer. (yes you can use those with this type of motor) Also doubles as a dimmer for the lamp in the work room, er uh "guest room". >>>>

Jim, Could I wire an old foot control minus the return spring between the pig tail and box and have a limiting controller? I'm a mechanic, not a sewer and with some machines I have trouble controlling the speed. With the extra controller in line before the return springed machine's controller I could limit the top speed of the machine's controller, correct. I have an extra old controller and like you I salvage and repurpose.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 AM

Bamboo skewers are better than toothpicks. At least for me they are. I'm out too.

I NEED THE POOL NOODLE. That's good thinking.