Got any Tool Tips?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 AM

Vridar yes you could, but you might loose some low end torque depending on the type of circuitry in the dimmer. although I haven't actually tried it yet.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:20 PM

Tammi, Love the lazy Susan and the pool noodle ideas.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
...you might loose some low end torque depending on the type of circuitry in the dimmer.
Probably, but the idea is to be able to "floor" the machine's foot pedal without the machine running away with me. And, actually I'll be using an old resistance-type foot control in the pig-tail to the electrical box, not a dimmer switch. I'm going to recycle an old foot peddle upon removing the return spring.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:10 PM

one of my old foot controls has an adjustable stop, beieve it was becsuse they might not want from and wear on the converted from treadle heads. I like the dimmer though for testing a motor, can leave it running at a constant med speed.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:43 PM

With the spring that returns the pedal to off removed, I'll also be able to adjust to a predetermined controlled resistance. Just a matter of what's available and individual adjustments to fit each of our needs.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I NEED THE POOL NOODLE. That's good thinking.
Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Tammi, Love the lazy Susan and the pool noodle ideas.
It's a great tool! The looks on people's faces when I pull it out of my bag is priceless too.
I took it with me today when I went to look at an industrial, and used it to tip the machine back and the gal goes "What's that!?!" It also cushioned the motor when we put it in the truck and I officially upped my machine count again... *sigh*

Rigged this up for testing motors that have short pigtails and an AC plug. Or I can put one on them temporarily.
Could be even fancier, but I used thrift/recycle components. This way I don't need a foot feed, and can leave it running part throttle for a bit to let a drop of oil work in or, check the speed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468969[/ATTACH]
I love this!! My little brain is just chugging away looking for a good way to use this with a singer machine (which is most of what i have) too .... I think it can be done and I would love it for a couple of things: 1. working on them 2. teaching people to FMQ an not have to worry about the speed while they get the hand motion....

Another doo-hickey made from thrift/recycle found photo enlarger, is a stand for my digital camera. It comes with a built in lamp, and you can adjust the height, and angle of the camera. Its base is also a nice white backdrop.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468970[/ATTACH]
That's a great idea! I have the enlarger, but am not quite at the point where I want to disassemble it, despite the fact that I haven't used it in a few years.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Rigged this up for testing motors that have short pigtails and an AC plug. Or I can put one on them temporarily.
Could be even fancier, but I used thrift/recycle components. This way I don't need a foot feed, and can leave it running part throttle for a bit to let a drop of oil work in or, check the speed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468969[/ATTACH] It is basically an AC pigtail wired to a plastic outlet box, with a duplex receptacle, and a light dimmer. (yes you can use those with this type of motor) Also doubles as a dimmer for the lamp in the work room, er uh "guest room".
Another doo-hickey made from thrift/recycle found photo enlarger, is a stand for my digital camera. It comes with a built in lamp, and you can adjust the height, and angle of the camera. Its base is also a nice white backdrop.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468970[/ATTACH]
Jim,
I got DH to wire up a box for me with a foot control pedal. My cheap Dremel now has variable speed with a foot control! WOW! AND I can plug in a sewing machine I'm working on.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:38 AM

glad that worked out 4 ya miriam! It also doubles as the dimmer to my incandescent lamp when not used otherwise. It would be beneficial, though i haven't tried it yet is to use a GFCI outlet even tho it's ungrounded. The Gfci will trip pretty quick for an imbalance like a short. Please DO NOT take anything Im saying here as gospil. AC can kill, and a qualified electrician can advise you. Also do research online. At the very least a 1.5 A fast blow fuse would be good
Old 04-04-2014, 11:55 AM

Default Inline Rheostat to Increase Resistance of Foot Controller

I'm rigging up a rheostat to have available for whatever purpose. But, again, I am thinking of placing it in series before a resistance speed controller to limit maximum speed. This one I'm working on has the power supply cord and two outlet box common to this type controller.The re-worked controller will control only the "motor" outlet unless I decide to rewire to control both outlets. Notice I had the old controller marked in the parts bin as N/G. I've tested it and believe it will work. I will remove the return spring under the foot lever so I can manually set it at a particular resistance. The screw on the duplex box is even present. ready to screw onto the underside of my work table. Voila![ATTACH=CONFIG]470078[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]470080[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]470079[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]470081[/ATTACH] Jim's Caveat - "Please DO NOT take anything Im saying here as gospil. AC can kill, and a qualified electrician can advise you. Also do research online." At the very least a 1.5 A fast blow fuse would be good" I agree, unless one knows about electricity, leave it to others who do.
Attached Thumbnails img_0362.jpg   img_0363.jpg   img_0364.jpg   img_0365.jpg  

Last edited by Vridar; 04-04-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Jim's Caveat
Old 04-04-2014, 01:29 PM

you're planning on having a cover over that rheostat guts, right? unless you live alone... ;-)