Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Got a Minnesota sewing machine for Christmas >

Got a Minnesota sewing machine for Christmas

Got a Minnesota sewing machine for Christmas

Old 12-30-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by bdship
Look here :
serendipityhandmade.blogspot.com/2009/10/vintage-thingies-thursday-minnesota.html

And EBay has one for sale, take a look there too.
Loved the blog, that's exactly what the machine looks like. I signed up with the International Sewing Machine Collectors' Society last night so I can learn more about it.

I did see a couple of them on eBay. DH is interested in the monetary value, I'm more interested in getting it running! :lol:

Originally Posted by Jingle
Good for you 7, I have not heard of them. Billy posted what he knows about it, he knows his sewing machines. Go check out Billy's thread on cleaning it up. Be careful and don't ruin the decals. Good luck.
Exactly, I'm really worried about damaging the decals, so I'm going to follow his recommendations. The machine does seem dirty, discovered that as hubby was oiling it last night. It's rubbing somewhere, but we can't figure out where. I know nothing about these types of machines, but DH says he used to see them all the time growing up. He's also very mechanically inclined, so he can figure out how it works for the most part.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 AM

What a beautiful machine especially since I'm from Minnesota and love old sewing machines. A neat gift.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:24 AM

It was so nice to see someone that lives close by! I am in Traverse City. Do you belong to a quilters club in your area?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 AM

I, too, thought your "Minnesota Machine" was some joke on a needle and some thread or such. This is a wonderful machine, and who had it and where that it is in such great condition?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:35 AM

appearing in the 1894 catalog
The "Minnesota" was a vibrating shuttle model manufactured by the Goodrich Sewing Machine Company of Chicago, Illinois. Made at the company's Kankakee, IL, plant, this 1890s machine used a New Home type shuttle, a Domestic styled bobbin winder, and bears a striking resemblance to a National

I found this description on a Google search. The picture looks like your machine but I am unable to get the picture over here for some reason.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 AM

I don't know anything about it but it sure is beautiful.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Whoo Hoo, Lucky you!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:45 AM

You can send pictures of the machine to Sears and ask if they can give you any information on this. I sent a request to the Service Dept. in Chicago, with pictures of a stereoscope.They sent me pictures of the catalogue in was in with all the information. That was about 10 years ago, so i don't know if they will still do that or not. It's worth a try.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Confederate Rose
You can send pictures of the machine to Sears and ask if they can give you any information on this. I sent a request to the Service Dept. in Chicago, with pictures of a stereoscope.They sent me pictures of the catalogue in was in with all the information. That was about 10 years ago, so i don't know if they will still do that or not. It's worth a try.
Oh very cool, I will do that, thank you!

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
appearing in the 1894 catalog
The "Minnesota" was a vibrating shuttle model manufactured by the Goodrich Sewing Machine Company of Chicago, Illinois. Made at the company's Kankakee, IL, plant, this 1890s machine used a New Home type shuttle, a Domestic styled bobbin winder, and bears a striking resemblance to a National

I found this description on a Google search. The picture looks like your machine but I am unable to get the picture over here for some reason.
Thank you so much, I am loving all this information! I've seen so many vintage machines here on the QB and didn't pay much attention to them. Now that I have one, I'm a sponge for info on it! :lol:

Originally Posted by gmcsewer
I, too, thought your "Minnesota Machine" was some joke on a needle and some thread or such. This is a wonderful machine, and who had it and where that it is in such great condition?
I'm going to have to ask more about where they got it. They have no idea what they started by getting this machine!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Contact Dave the machine man. In several quilting books. Sorry I do not have his info here. He does work on speiality machinges. Try ebay. You will see him there.