Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Got My New 221 Featherweight - Yay! >

Got My New 221 Featherweight - Yay!

Got My New 221 Featherweight - Yay!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM

You can sew through layers on the 301 with the appropriate needle, I am not sure about the fw I have not tried layers on my FW. Congratulations.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:25 AM

Thank you Littlehud. I'll get a picture to post so you can see her :D

Okiepastor - Thank you for the tip. I'm new to this site and still navigating my way around. Lots of great info here and people who are kind enough to share their knowledge. Will let you know what I find out.

Billy - Thanks for the congrats. I'm happy that I know her history. I'm curious and sentimental about these things. I told the gentleman that I would give her a good home. When I told him I'd be naming her he smiled with the understanding smile of a quilter's husband. He told my husband a good way to have a happy marriage is to say yes to your wife and pull out your wallet LOL! It was fun talking with him.

Thank you for your advice. Coming from an expert I'll heed your warning. I'll investigate further and let you know what I find out. I'll get pics I promise - it's on my to do list. :-)

Are you familiar with the foot pedal on the 221? My husband thinks it has been replaced. Does the cord come out from the side on the originals? Hope you don't mind my asking.

PunkQuilter - Thanks for the congratulations and input! Is the picture under your name (think this is called an avatar?) your 301? It's a beautiful machine.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 PM

Please allow me to introduce Ms. Ayasha Kuwanlelenta :-P I hope the pictures come out OK. Her first name is Cheyenne Indian meaning "Little One" and her last name is Hopi Indian meaning "To make beautiful surroundings."

She just came back today from having her check up and all is well :-P The sewing machine repair man said that she won't be able to sew through layers of denim but sewing an X for a rag quilt will probably be OK.

I paid $225 (just marked down from $275) and $50 for her check up.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-168562.jpe   attachment-168563.jpe   attachment-168564.jpe  
Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM

She's BEAUTIFUL! She's in GREAT shape. She looks very much like my Erma (named after my grandma who bought her new). :-)
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Please allow me to introduce Ms. Ayasha Kuwanlelenta :-P I hope the pictures come out OK. Her first name is Cheyenne Indian meaning "Little One" and her last name is Hopi Indian meaning "To make beautiful surroundings."

She just came back today from having her check up and all is well :-P The sewing machine repair man said that she won't be able to sew through layers of denim but sewing an X for a rag quilt will probably be OK.

I paid $225 (just marked down from $275) and $50 for her check up.
She's beautiful!! Aren't FW's so-o-o cute?!?

I highly recommend getting Dave McCallum's book "The Featherweight 221 and I". The CD set that goes with it is wonderful, also. It will save you the price of a $50.00 visit to the doctor again :-D

http://www.featherweight221.com/fwrx/index.html

He makes working on your FW look so easy.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 PM

Very Nice! i want one. congradulations
Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM

minstrel - What a blessing for you to be able to sew on your Grandmother's sewing machine - and to know it was well cared for. How cool! :-P

cabbagepatchkid - Thanks for the suggestion on Dave McCallum's book I'll check this out. It would have never dawned on me to have anyone but a professional work on her but this is a good idea :-P

sewingsuz - Thank you. I've wanted one for a looooong time. The gentleman who sold her had already sold his wife's 3 other FW's and gave her fabric away.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
cabbagepatchkid - Thanks for the suggestion on Dave McCallum's book I'll check this out. It would have never dawned on me to have anyone but a professional work on her but this is a good idea :-P
It's fun reading and it's written so that the average Joe can understand how to work on their FW. It's also helpful to me for my 301's because they are so much like a FW.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM

she looks like a sister to my Birgit, welcome to the FW club!! congrats on a great deal!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM

cabbagepatchkid, it's a good thing it's written for the average Joe. I love your avatar - what an adorable puppy!

Leaha, Thanks. Birgit must be a beauty too :-P They are just so cute and little.