Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Grandma's Quilting Frame or Older >

Grandma's Quilting Frame or Older

Grandma's Quilting Frame or Older

Old 07-21-2014, 07:51 PM

I had the same thought as SteveH, only I was thinking perhaps the extra set of legs as pictured are maybe upside down and the weight of the rolled up quilt sandwich is what supports them from not falling down.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 PM

Yes indeed that is so cool. All wood and handmade, wonderful. Can you give us an approximate age?
Old 07-22-2014, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Yes indeed that is so cool. All wood and handmade, wonderful. Can you give us an approximate age?
I honestly have no idea. My mom & dad seperated and dad moved to where his parents lived. Then he passed away and as we were going through the house, preparing for public sale, I found it in the attic. Since my wife quilts every once in a while, she thought she would like to keep it, but it's too big for our current house since we down-sized. Who knows? It may have been my Great-Grandmother's. I'm no expert at aging these things. Rough guess . . . early 20th century, maybe very late 19th century.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:33 AM

It looks like an old Hinterberg design. They are still in business, so I would try them first.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
It looks like an old Hinterberg design. They are still in business, so I would try them first.

Good idea....also maybe a quilt museum would have some info.....oh if only that frame could talk...what tales it would tell.......
Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Good idea....also maybe a quilt museum would have some info.....oh if only that frame could talk...what tales it would tell.......
Yeah, I wish it could talk too. I checked the Hinterberg site and I couldn't find anything close to it. Their's are more comtemporary.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:52 AM

My grandmother had a frame very similar - she was born about 1888, married about 1908...my grandfather could easily have made them but I have no idea. I have one aunt still alive - she may know.

Also, my grandmother's could be pulled up to the ceiling using simple eye bolts and ropes so it wasn't in the way. Quite innovative I think :-)
Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by flybreit View Post
My grandmother had a frame very similar - she was born about 1888, married about 1908...my grandfather could easily have made them but I have no idea. I have one aunt still alive - she may know.

Also, my grandmother's could be pulled up to the ceiling using simple eye bolts and ropes so it wasn't in the way. Quite innovative I think :-)
When we lived in the larger house with a huge craft room for my wife, we saw the idea of a pully system from the ceiling and thought about doing that, but then we downsized and moved to a much smaller rancher and her craftroom is nothing more than a 12 X12 spare bedroom.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 PM

I remember, way back when I was just a kid, my great grandmother had quilt frames supspended from the ceiling. The frames were made out of just plain old lumber (2 X stock). When the quilters wanted to quilt, the frames would be lowered to the right height for quilting. I don't remember too much about the construction, or how the quilt was fixed in the frame, or anything. I just know it was really strange to see one of those frames hanging from the ceiling!

Jeanette
Old 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM

Have you looked through the photo album? There might be a picture or two with the quilting frame in it.