Green Machine Day

Old 03-20-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137
*** Its the LUCK of the IRISH.
*** Did you find a Leprecauhn -or- a Pot-O-GOLD in her?
I think the machine itself is my Pot-o-Gold. This is only the second Singer 319W that I’ve seen “in the flesh” after 8 years of collecting (and I now own them both), so they’re not extremely common around me.

Your comment is timely too, since I’m still trying to come up with a good nickname for him/her. Of course, it has to be something to do with St Patrick’s Day, and I see some possible choices in your words. I had been thinking of it as a masculine machine, but maybe I should re-think that. I have several machines with feminine nicknames, so no problem with having girls. I was thinking of the masculine name of “Paddy”, and then added the word “Purdy” in front of it, but decided calling a guy “Purdy Paddy” might be fighting words, so that’s out. (Good way to get a needle through the finger!) Still, it is a very pretty machine, so maybe I’ll start thinking about a girl name. Any suggestions?

I removed the electrical parts, cleaned, and lubed her yesterday. She turned like a dream even before servicing, so I’m anxious to test-sew on her. I still need to work on her bobbin case. Not to use 15x1 needles in her, but to remove the damaged area already on the BC. Here’s a couple of photos of her in her “treadle-ready” condition.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine559_11.jpg   machine559_13.jpg  
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Banned

wow... that looks new....
Old 03-20-2014, 09:54 AM

It’s sure not roughed up much at all. Oil stains are about the only sign of its age. It’s been well taken care of, but I had to chuckle out loud while I was cleaning her up.

Every hole in it had a thin line of Singer Lubricant shot into it. Even the screwdriver access hole in the back of the head, and the threaded accessory attachment holes in the bed. Just a really thin string about the size of the shank on a size 11 needle, and 3/4 to an inch long. The oil holes in the top cover had a small blob of lubricant covering the drip controllers (or whatever those things are called that replaced wicks), and the other holes had a string of lubricant dangling inside or behind them. If it was a hole, it got shot. LOL

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 AM

This is my first time on the forum. My sister Jo got me into this! Am I in trouble???
Connie
Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I have the usual green Kenmore machines and some old green Elna's but I shot pics of two I like:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468182[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468183[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails green-machines-001.jpg   green-machines-003.jpg  
Old 03-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by conniesquilt
This is my first time on the forum. My sister Jo got me into this! Am I in trouble???
Connie
If not already, you probably will be if you hang around this crowd much.

Welcome to the board. Say hi to Jo.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-21-2014, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
but the 206 Twin Needle caught my eye
Yes CD that is indeed a twin needle for this machine (I have two of them).
Old 03-21-2014, 01:06 AM

I got a chance Wednesday to look at it closely. I’ve learned to not trust used packaging 100%. This one is, in fact, the 206x13 Twin Needle, and it looks to be in great shape. It’s the first one that I’ve had, and will be looking forward to test-sewing with it.

I haven’t gotten to even test-sew the machine yet. I got busy with some yard work that I needed to get done. Once I whittle the damaged area off of the BC, I’ll put it in my treadle and give it a test-drive.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM

I dressed down the rough damaged edge of the bobbin case. I’d say that this machine, at least with this BC in it, was not intended to have needles other than 206x13 used in it. That is, if the damage was caused by using the wrong needle. There were no 15x1 needles in the machine or the case; only 206x13 needles, so not knowing the history of the machine, one can only speculate.

I did a test-sew by turning the hand wheel by hand, and ran a short stitch line in 2 layers of cotton fabric. I tried the zigzag and multi-zigzag cams along the way, and the machine functioned flawlessly. Now....to get it into a treadle stand!

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine559_17.jpg   machine559_18.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 12:29 PM

I used my Singer 319W in my MUTT (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle) today. First, I had to change tops. I had the flat top on the stand from fiddling with a table-top machine the last time that I used it, so I had to put the Singer top back on it. Tops are changed by removing and replacing 4 screws. It just takes a couple of minutes.

The belt that I use for my Singer 66-18 ended up being the correct length for the 319W. I use a 2-piece belt (2 clips) on my MUTT to adjust to different belt lengths by changing a short section out with another short section to make the complete belt. Both clips have one end crimped onto the belt, and the other end formed into a hook that I can take apart.

The first order of business was to wind a bobbin of black thread. My test project is to mend holes in a pair of insulated coveralls, and the lining is black. The outer shell is gray. No modifications were needed to the bobbin winder, since I’m using the original balance wheel. I have photos of the mending job, but I think that I’ll start another thread about that.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine559_19.jpg   machine559_20.jpg   machine559_21.jpg