Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Had a relapse.  *heaves big sigh* >

Had a relapse. *heaves big sigh*

Had a relapse. *heaves big sigh*

Old 01-13-2015, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
Well at least falling off the wagon wasn't hard on the pocketbook! What a pretty bargain!
Mavis, you're an expert enabler!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:44 PM

of course you bought it.......there would be NO way you could see it and not take it home...........we all understand about that "...no, I don't need to buy another one.........but.............uh...........well..... ......." and on we go....isn't if amazing how we can always find a place to put one more of those ladies.............
Old 01-16-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
......... I recently told my family that I'd like to winnow my collection down to about 10 or 12. They all burst out laughing. I get no respect.
How long did it take for them to accept the fact that you collect sewing machines to begin with? My wife looks at me like I'm crazy (she looks at me like I'm crazy anyway) when I want another and I only have 20 or so. I know other members here have family members that are convinced they're hoarders too because of the machines.

As long as an activity doesn't destroy you financially, harm other people or do irreparable damage to your relationships it's not a real cause for concern. If it is causing you trouble on some level then it's time to stand back and take a hard look at what is actually important to you and make the adjustments necessary. Sewing machines are pretty harmless as far as addictions or obsessions go.
If you really want an expensive hobby that takes up a lot of space there's always old tractors and steam engines.
Rodney
Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
How long did it take for them to accept the fact that you collect sewing machines to begin with? My wife looks at me like I'm crazy (she looks at me like I'm crazy anyway) when I want another and I only have 20 or so. I know other members here have family members that are convinced they're hoarders too because of the machines.

As long as an activity doesn't destroy you financially, harm other people or do irreparable damage to your relationships it's not a real cause for concern. If it is causing you trouble on some level then it's time to stand back and take a hard look at what is actually important to you and make the adjustments necessary. Sewing machines are pretty harmless as far as addictions or obsessions go.
If you really want an expensive hobby that takes up a lot of space there's always old tractors and steam engines.
Rodney
Right you are but the problem is that I've stood back and taken that hard look and concluded this can't continue -- but it does. I see a machine at a great price, then reflexively pounce. Part of it is the hunt, partly the score at a great price, then the fun of cleaning and getting it to work. (Lately I've been less inclined to do this part. I have machines that I bought with every intention of repairing and still they sit, waiting for attention.)

At some point I have to move out of this large house and into something smaller. Downsizing will not be optional. Might as well start now. Right after I finally acquire that Bernina industrial. And the Juki 6-thread hybrid.

In the distant future I don't want to be the strange sewing machine guy in the news: "90 year-old man found dead in home. Cause of death is unknown; possible complications due to kerosene inhalation. The home was filled with sewing machines, estimated to be over 500 as of this writing."
Old 01-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Sounds like you're at the point where some action may be necessary. Probably the best start would be to stay out of the thrifts and stay off Craig's List. You can't buy what you can't see. Easier said than done. Old habits die hard. Cliches but then they're cliches for good reasons.
Maybe start by narrowing your searches to industrial machines only. That will keep it down to true industrials and every black machine ever made.
I would like to say you're not going to find industrial machines in a thrift store but you've already proven me wrong there.
You can also try one in-one out. For every machine you buy you have to somehow dispose of one. That at least will keep the herd from growing. You have excellent taste in machines and already have a very respectable collection quality wise. It will be hard to find machines better than the ones you already have.
Another option would be to go on a fixed income. It's done wonders for slowing down my buying habits.
I also try to ask myself some simple questions:
1) Can I afford it? Enough said.

2) Where will I put it? This is a big one for me. I have a small house that's already pretty full. I want to see and enjoy my machines. Proper display is important to me even if you wouldn't know it to look right now. Stacking them somewhere out of the way isn't a permanent solution to me.

3) What are my plans for it? I want my collection to have purpose. Will this machine fill some sewing function other machines in the herd don't already do better? Can I use it for educational purposes? Part of my collection's purpose is to educate children on the joys of sewing. Another part is to illustrate the early development of the modern electric sewing machine. Some just for display is ok too though I want all my machines able to sew.

Notice I've said nothing about just stopping. Cold turkey is the worst way to stop doing anything. That, or maybe it's too painful for me to think about it.
Rodney
Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Wise (and kind) words and a good approach. Believe it or not, I've become a little bored with collecting and I think it's a good sign that my tastes are changing and I'm maturing beyond merely acquiring. But some of my initial fascination with machines in general has faded.

As you know, I'm into industrials now but I only want several and I'm done (about 6-7 max, including overlocking and coverstitching -- possibly an industrial buttonholer). And I want Necchis, Pfaffs, Singers, Kenmores, and a few others and that's it. I'm thinking 25 at the most. I'm not into treadles or anything really old except perhaps a crank or two.

I'm not a very focused or disciplined collector but I'm beyond the indiscriminate buying I used to do. It's strange how this forum has turned into therapy. However, I think the idea of resisting the lure of CL would, for me, be an impossibility. Maybe in a few years but not when there are functional holes in my collection such as the need for a truly heavy-duty straight stitch machine like a Durkopp-Adler. And part of it, I freely admit, is the coolness factor.

Good news, though: I sold one today. (I bought one last night, however. Couldn't resist the price.) One in, one out! Yep, my beloved Singer 338 is now in the hands of a guy who wants to do his own mending and sew military patches onto his old uniforms and clothing. CL is great for selling, too!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:54 PM

I try and resist but the lure of CL and shopgoodwill and local thrift stores is too great. and I love love love the pure art form of the old machines. sometimes I just have to close my eyes and go lallallalalalalalalalalalal until the urge passes.. lol
Old 01-16-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by melmerr1 View Post
I try and resist but the lure of CL and shopgoodwill and local thrift stores is too great. and I love love love the pure art form of the old machines. sometimes I just have to close my eyes and go lallallalalalalalalalalalal until the urge passes.. lol
LOL! Probably the best strategy!