Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Hand crank for Singer model 115 >

Hand crank for Singer model 115

Hand crank for Singer model 115

Old 11-03-2020, 04:03 PM

Default Hand crank for Singer model 115

I have been searching and can't find what I'm looking for. I have a Singer 115 (or maybe 15) made in 1914. It is treadle machine and I am looking for a hand crank attachment for it. The machine works well, the treadle works, but when I get to sewing patches on leather motorcycle vests, I like to hand crank around corners etc. I think I had asked the question here before, and I have looked and can't find. Someone recommended a couple of things... a source for original type, a source for new cranks that fit old machines, and some suggestions as to what to avoid. Can anyone help me? Anyone know much about these old machines? (I know there are, but as an infrequent visits, I don't know y'all well!!)
Thanks
Denny
Old 11-04-2020, 05:48 AM

Here's a post about a 115

Singer Model 115 Tiffany/gingerbread decals

maybe that will help determine the model. There are lots of posts and pictures of model 15s. I posted something here

Singer 66

about hand crank parts, and I have attached a picture of my 15 hand crank, which started as a 15-90. I have a recently acquired treadle table in the garage and was going to put this 15 into it and give it a spin. I do mostly repairs and have used this 15 hand crank a number of times since finishing it a month or so ago.
Attached Thumbnails img_20201007_100943031%7E2.jpg  
Old 11-04-2020, 06:52 AM

Denny, you can subscribe to a thread by clicking on one of the blue "Subscribe" buttons. There are two of them on page - one at the top, under the title of the thread and the other at the after the last post to a thread. That way you will receive notification when someone has responded to a thread.

I answered your other thread How Do I Tell? You really have to look at the bobbin area to tell the difference between a 115 and 15. Yes, your machine is a 115 according to the picture you posted on that thread.

A good post about differences can be found at Singer mdl 15 vs the 115, what's the difference?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:12 AM

Thanks Joe and Janey or John for the responses. I finally found my original question late last night!! And I found the paperwork/manuals for this machine and can confirm it is a 115. So that shows how long it's been since I worked with this!!! I should get it up and around more...but I have that new Singer 4452 to play with!!
I have seen reference to Central Michigan Sewing Supplies, so I will give this a look see..... I understand the newer hand crank assemblies are not the best, but still wonder if there was one or two better than the others. Lots of knowledge here, and I have picked up some along the way! I don't come here as much as my motorcycle forums, but I do dive in!!! Thank you in advance for any additional info I can glean from here!!
Denny
Old 11-04-2020, 08:41 AM

Does your 115 have this boss and a screw hole under the balance wheel? https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...38-582790.html

I do hand crank demos on my 99s, 66s 28s, etc and use an original and 3 aftermarket ( Chinse) HCs. The Chinese take a bit more lube and you gotta check for screws that try to slip, but overall they go a good job.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:55 PM

Yes it does.... just checked and they are there!!