Are Hand Cranks Standard?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 PM

The other thing is a Singer handcrank cranks away from you, not toward you. If the steering wheel spinner is how I think it is, you'd crank toward you. I'm not sure if it would make a difference, just a point to note.

I will take a peek around and see if there's a pic in any of my old Singer memorabilia too.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Most old Singers have the hand wheel attached directly to the main shaft. So a knob on the hand wheel will have to be turned towards you (not the most comfortable way) and will stitch 1:1 (one stitch per turn). Many old German and other manufacturers had gears to go from the inside of the hand wheel to gears on the main shaft. This reversed the direction of the hand wheel to a more comfortable clockwise direction and allowed a (the usual) 1:3 ration of hand wheel rotation to stitches. I'm not sure if this is what you thinking of.
My GG-GM's White Prize sewing machine from 1893-1900 is a gear drive hand crank. This gear drive allows a knob to crank the hand wheel away from you. The knob is removable if the machine is put in a treadle. I don't have a treadle (and don't know if there was one), but the treadle belt groove is there. I attached two picture to show the knob on the hand wheel and the gears on the backside, at the bottom of the hand wheel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]411761[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]411762[/ATTACH]

Cathy

Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
I can't find any pics. You'd have to rig something. I wonder if a steering wheel spinner could be adapted to work. But probably the elongated handle is more efficient to use. You'd have to rig something, like handle that's on the toy sewing machines.
Attached Thumbnails 2013-05-04-13.25.16.jpg   2013-05-04-13.22.48.jpg  

Last edited by Mizkaki; 05-04-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Hi Tammi,

The serial number is 10562xxx which dates it to 1891 and it's a 3/4 size VS Singer with the raised boss. I call it a 28 though this may be the wrong terminology for one this old. It came with an old walnut bentwood case and I'd love to find a period crank for it which it undoubtedly had at one time.

Jon

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I didn't realize that! Thanks for that information. Are you sure your 1890s 28 is a 28, and not a VS3?

My VS2 has no motor mount, but my very late model 1913 27 (according to ismacs) has the motor mount. Now that I think about it, the 1912 28 also has a motor / HC mount as well.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:34 PM

The knob thing I was trying to remember was just just a knob that someone made and attached to the handwheel. So, yes, all it would do is 1:1 but I really hadn't thought that through.

What some other people did in order to use a standard Singer or other geared handcrank was bolted the handcrank to the side of a cabinet (instead of to the boss on a machine) and then somehow aligned and anchored the machine on top of the cabinet so that the finger of the hc inserted into the spoked wheel. Maybe if you put a piece of that nonskid rubber waffle material under the machine's base that would keep it from moving? I dunno. Just thinking aloud on the Interwebs, here.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Cathy, that White Prize is just gorgeous! I love the look of those old wide based machines.
One thing I fell in love with on the German machines is all those exposed gears, the name of the one escapes me right now (probably a sign 5 hours sleep isn't enough for me, darn neighbor's chainsaw that got me out of bed!) , 1/2 sized machine, huge handwheel (the base is dished for it) and all the gears showing. You'd never see a machine like that built today, too many pinch hazards. I bet young ones would only get their fingers in there once though.

jlhmnj - I'm pretty sure that makes is a VS3 There's a chart on this page that can help youconfirm it if you're interested. http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/28/
Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Contact www.theoldsewingmachineman.com he may be able to answer your questions. I am in no way affiliated with him but have spoken to him at quilt shows and he is knowledgable