Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Happy 102nd Birthday Miss Nancy >

Happy 102nd Birthday Miss Nancy

Happy 102nd Birthday Miss Nancy

Old 02-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
How did you get the base and pedal to look so good? I've got a White (brand) machine that I will be refurbishing once it's warm enough to work in the garage.
Actually, (you'll probably laugh, but it worked) since I didn't want to spray paint over chipped paint which would show an uneven paint build-up, and I don't have access to a sand blaster to remove the old paint (and I still wanted to retain the original Singer paint on the side logos)...I cleaned all the nooks and crannies with Clorox wipes, then used black skuff shoe polish in a sponge applicator bottle, then wiped it off from the side logos and Singer name underneath (which doesn't show in these photos).
Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 PM

What a lovely restoration! Was this your first one?
Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
What a lovely restoration! Was this your first one?
Thank you, and yes it was. It was not difficult. It took one evening and the following day. She looked a bit rough to begin with, but only had a few places where her vaneer was chipped off...and at least a dozen cigarette burns along her front edge. I didn't want to sand too much, as the vaneer is so thin, so I used a fine steel wool. I completely unassembled the wood cabinet to refinish it. I followed Billy's (LostN51) tutorial on cleaning and refurbishing the machine. I've since worked on a Featherweight, a 301 and have a 15-91 waiting in the wings for her "bath."
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned

awesome...thanks for sharing the info...I need to get busy cleaning a white and a singer treadle...