Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 37 of 37

Thread: Has anybody got tension problems???

  1. #26
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    57
    YES!!! I finally got time to sit down and sew something on my Singer 127 that just came from the shop - and found that the thread take-up spring was broken! I called the repairman, and he said it was fine when he serviced it - and it was, because I have the scrap he sewed on. Sometime, however, the spring broke, and all I had was a nub left. I tried taking it apart, but could not get the old spring out, so I just reassembled the whole thing to take back to him in the morning. VERY frustrating - I wanted to sew some on it tonight!!

    I feel like this is something I should have been able to fix. I viewed all the videos in this (and other) threads, and did a search on YouTube for others. Nothing. Rats.

    Maybe he'll let me watch when he fixes it - think?

  3. #28
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by His_Grace View Post
    YES!!! I finally got time to sit down and sew something on my Singer 127 that just came from the shop - and found that the thread take-up spring was broken! I called the repairman, and he said it was fine when he serviced it - and it was, because I have the scrap he sewed on. Sometime, however, the spring broke, and all I had was a nub left. I tried taking it apart, but could not get the old spring out, so I just reassembled the whole thing to take back to him in the morning. VERY frustrating - I wanted to sew some on it tonight!!

    I feel like this is something I should have been able to fix. I viewed all the videos in this (and other) threads, and did a search on YouTube for others. Nothing. Rats.

    Maybe he'll let me watch when he fixes it - think?
    How frustrating. Here is a manual with really the best tension rebuilding info I have ever seen. You need two people, then go through it together sentence by sentence, word by word and you will be able to fix that tension. Here is the link: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  4. #29
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    How frustrating. Here is a manual with really the best tension rebuilding info I have ever seen. You need two people, then go through it together sentence by sentence, word by word and you will be able to fix that tension. Here is the link: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
    Miriam is correct. I've been working on a couple machines with the same tension systems and that manual is a real help. Read it, look at the pics and then look at your machine's tension and do it.
    I did it with out a second person, but an assistant helps.

    Joe

  5. #30
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...nsion/page/all
    someone posted this excellent article
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  6. #31
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Tammi has very eloquently expressed herself... look here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t223929.html
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  7. #32
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Tammi has very eloquently expressed herself... look here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t223929.html
    Thanks Miriam.

    I've been fleshing that out more and more over the last week. I've posted two posts about it here:
    http://www.archaicarcane.com/fragile...-equal-stress/ - This addresses some basics, and upper tension.
    http://www.archaicarcane.com/bobbin-...obbin-tension/ - This addresses more basics and bobbin tension.

    Hopefully, I should be able to tie up the loose ends with one last post, but not tonight. Also pics to help illustrate to come as well.
    Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 06-25-2013 at 09:44 PM.

  8. #33
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    YEAH! this needed to be much better addressed. When I started this there was nothing else available. I just posted the links I collected. Some are helpful some are not. I'm sure yours will be very good. I'll look at them in a minute.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  9. #34
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Have a lady coming by for that Bernina, and a foot pedal. After that, I'll start shooting pics.

    I get to "break" the tension on some machines on purpose... this should be messy.

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    612
    This thread saved my sanity! I was fussing with the tension assembly on a 15 clone. omg...what a mess it was. Lol now its back together and working. Thanks to the awesomelinks provided.

  11. #36
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    I'm glad things are working!
    Tammi has posted a very good tutorial on her blog, too.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  12. #37
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Tammi's blog tute may have saved Lady Godiva's life too. Since I rebuilt her she's been cranky about the tensions. I just followed Tammi's instructions and I've had the top tension too tight. Argh!!!! I hate it when that happens.

    Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.