Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Has anyone heard anything from.... >

Has anyone heard anything from....

Has anyone heard anything from....

Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 AM

Joe,

I really do know exactly what you're going through (as to the back). I had surgery to correct my problem a little over a month ago and I was doing very well, until (1) I started physical therapy yesterday and that made me sore, but then after the therapy session (2) I started with a full-blown asthma attack. I tried calling my doctor, left a message, no return call, called back, still no response, tried to schedule with his Nurse Practitioner, no luck there. I was coughing so hard my back was absolutely killing me, so I said, what the heck! We went to Urgent Care (no one told us they close at 6:00 p.m.), so my son took me to the emergency room at the hospital. I had to stop the coughing to stop the pain. Well, they had IV's (many of them) started but my veins are terrible. I had about 6-9 places where they tried to get an IV started. They gave me some IV steroids to stop the coughing, breathing treatment, and then tried to scare the bejabbers out of me asking if I had ever had cancer, ran a CT Scan of my heart and lungs. After all this, I found out they were afraid I might have thrown a blood clot. At any rate, I got a prescription for a medrol dose pack, so I went home last night and tried to sleep. Woke up this morning at 3:30 or 4:00 (remember we didn't get out of the er until after midnight), then tried to sleep until 6:00. I did get the violent coughing stopped, but my back is now really raising cane, so I've had to call the Neurosurgeon's office for more medication (which i despise taking). I'm really hoping the violent coughing yesterday did not mess up the surgery -- I'm too old to go through that again!

Sure hope you recover soon. It is frustrating to be unable to do the things you want to do.

Jeanette Frantz
Old 07-26-2013, 06:20 PM

Jeanette,

I'm sorry to hear about the coughing asthma attack. I can't think of anything worse than that after spinal surgery.

I've also found out that if you need to see a DR now, the only way is to go to the ER. The family Drs are so over booked you can't get an appointment for weeks or months and that's never when you need them.

As much as I don't like hospitals I've come to accept that fact.

Take care and rest. Get well, then sew up a quilt or something fun.

Joe