Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Have the rules changed?Vintage machines >

Have the rules changed?Vintage machines

Have the rules changed?Vintage machines

Old 07-06-2010, 01:34 PM

On lubing/greasing the gears?I've been to my local SM/quilt store today(and a few weeks ago) looking for motor lube.The woman in the store(not the mechanic) tells me it's unnecessary and it'll get blown out,ruin my machine and they don't use it.WTF!! All my old manuals tell me to use it.Folks on SM lists,etc use it.I kinda argued gently with her and she stuck to her guns telling me they don't carry unnecessary items. This was also the woman I ordered a new foot and for my mid-arm and she ordered the one she wanted to instead of the one I asked her to order.
It's a shame because they're in the bigger town I do all my shopping in.I'm going to have to stop shopping there.I can't even complain to the owner because her and her brother own it....

Shelly
Ft.Lupton,CO
Old 07-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Yep - I'd stop shopping there if they can't order or sell you What YOU Want To Buy!

I'd probably drop the owner a note telling them also.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Singer sells machine lube in a tube and you can get gear grease at any hardware store. Get the smallest tube you can find, it lasts forever.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:06 PM

The Singer was what I was looking for.I hadn't thought about a hardware store-neither did my DH.I have a really nice ACE here in town.
Shelly
Ft.Lupton,CO
Old 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM

You are the customer.You should be able to order or buy what you want or need.I would go elsewhere.Brighton is 6 miles south.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Well be sure and read your manual ans see what it says. Mine machine does not even need/want oil/ The newer machines are really different then the "golden" oldies :thumbup: Maybe that is why the old ones last forever and the new ones become land fill :roll:
Old 07-06-2010, 02:39 PM

I got singer machine lube (for my oldies) online at Joann's. Don't shop where the owner is a bully. Has she ever heard that the customer is always right?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 PM

The majority of old machines need oil and some other sort of lubrication. The modern machines do not.

Not to defend the shop owner but she did tell you one truthful thing - many people over oil their machines and while sewing the oil flings everywhere inside the machine case.

I have a vintage sewing machine repair man and he even gave me a lesson on how to put just 1 drop of oil in the hole because he said the same thing as the shop keeper. The oil goes everywhere and that's how he knows people over oiled the machine.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM

She wasn't talking about oil-we were talking about grease for the gears-at least I was.I never mentioned oil-not that they sell any..
I told her I needed it for my vintage Singers and she decided that they don't need any-that it's unnecessary/My DH doubles as my mechanic and he cleans/oils/lubes all my machines.I couldn't find my tube-a cross country move will do that-so I need more.I could prolly find some at Joann,but they are about 25 miles in either direction,so I thought I'd try to buy local.

Shelly
Ft.Lupton,CO
Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Pam

Bless you for trying to support the local business, too bad they did not support you. Sounds like your time and money are better spent elsewhere.