Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Having issues with supernova julia necchi >

Having issues with supernova julia necchi

Having issues with supernova julia necchi

Old 08-28-2016, 05:31 PM

Default Having issues with supernova julia necchi

I have recently started working with a vintage sewing machine a supernova julia necchi when I first started sewing on it I noticed right away that I had it threaded wrong. After fixing it I then realized that it wasn't sewing right, I finally got it to sew but the ends of the fabric won't stayed sewed. I'm very upset about this because it is a nice sewing machine but I really want it work and its not sewing like it should be. Please help me understand why its not sewing right or if I need to take it back to have it worked on again? The picture is similar to the one I have.
Attached Thumbnails necchi_supernova_julia_sewing_machine-1886.png  
Old 08-28-2016, 05:57 PM

My first question would be are you holding your thread tails/ends? Or using a 'leader' piece of fabric? If you are used to sewing with a newer, computerized machine, this may not be intuitive for you. For us oldsters, it's just a habit that we don't seem to break regardless of machine!

If you're holding your thread tails, I'm at a loss but I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable will be along shortly.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:58 AM

Maybe try using a leader cloth as NJ Quilter suggested. I've found that really helps. Also, is your tension adjusted properly? Beautiful machine, by the way!
Old 08-29-2016, 04:22 AM

I"m not sure but I'm going to check and see as far as I know but I might be wrong if not I may take it to be looked at or at least have them show me how to use it in case it happens again.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:51 AM

You mean like the upper and lower thread doesn't interlock from the first needle punch? I don't think I ever had that problem. Similar issues often happen if the machine desparately needs cleaning and tending to under the needle plate; feed dog and bobbin case area in general. I'm totally emvious of your machine though, it looks fab :- )
Old 08-29-2016, 07:21 AM

try shortening your stitch length at bit. Longer stitches allow more fabric movement which can cause the stitches at the edges to pull loose.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:13 AM

If you send a picture of your stitches, top and bottom, we may be able to help more.