And Heeeeeer'es Jonsie!!!

Old 09-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Banned

Default And Heeeeeer'es Jonsie!!!

Don't laugh too hard. It's a Jones medium CS.

It's not completely frozen surprisingly but the bobbin winder is broken and not all there.

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5032112.jpg   s5032113.jpg   s5032114.jpg   s5032115.jpg  
Old 09-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Banned

Now here's what grabbed me about it.

It fit in the trunk of my car! It's the tiniest treadle I've ever seen in person. 16"x33"x29"tall. It's so cute I couldn't say no.

The coffin top isn't the right one but it fits over the machine so I don't care right now.

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5032111.jpg   s5032118.jpg   s5032119.jpg   s5032120.jpg   s5032121.jpg  

s5032122.jpg   s5032116.jpg  
Old 09-16-2014, 06:23 PM

you have me laughing, what the story on that Hi tech paint job ?

people I know use I think an oven cleaner, it's called orange something ??? it's a gell they rub it in with a rag, to wrinkles up spray paint then asap use a plastic bondo spreader to scrape that off. it does not harm the original finish. There doing this on old cars that have been pained over, to restore that cars original paint .
having very good results of not harming and graphic under the spray paint .

from the looks of what was taped off, it's hard to believe rest would have been very bad..

course another can of Gold and call it Goldie , Golden jonsie , Jons'n fer gold
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM

measure some of your other treadles that falls right in the standard size.. singers norm was around 18 x 36 x 29

coffins were a bit small , but most had the flip up end.
jones was a UK machine so they would have been a bit more compact.

The top looks like a singer top I love the way the stand shows off its flywheel..
Old 09-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Is that the one from CL that we were eying a few days ago?

My impression: Both the machine and especially the table are absolutely great. The table is beautiful and is in excellent shape and it's going to look fantastic once the machine gets some TLC.

The machine IS A JONES! Those beautiful decals! Now that it's in the hands of someone who cares about it, I feel a whole lot better. I'm excited to see what you'll do with all this; it's a great find and if I recall, the price was very good for such a nice table plus a machine with definite potential. AND IT'S A JONES!

Post lots of pics. You scored.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Banned

The top is oak, It's very similar in shape to what this should have but it's the wrong wood. I've just been looking at Ebay UK and found two like mine but they both have a side leaf on the left side and mine doesn't. This is my only treadle here so I don't have anything to compare it to. It's definitely smaller than the Singer treadles I've seen up close.
I have no idea why it was painted. Neither did the person I bought it from. That's how she bought it.

Cari
Old 09-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Is that the one from CL that we were eying a few days ago?

My impression: Both the machine and especially the table are absolutely great. The table is beautiful and is in excellent shape and it's going to look fantastic once the machine gets some TLC.

The machine IS A JONES! Those beautiful decals! Now that it's in the hands of someone who cares about it, I feel a whole lot better. I'm excited to see what you'll do with all this; it's a great find and if I recall, the price was very good for such a nice table plus a machine with definite potential. AND IT'S A JONES!

Post lots of pics. You scored.
Yes it's the one we were picking on, I caved. When I saw how small it is there was no walking away. Going at the machine itself kinda scares me. That paint has been on there a looong time. Previous owner had it for 15 years and it was painted when she bought it. The hand wheel will move slightly, reverse lever works,(I'm assuming that's what that lever is for), I think if I get the hand wheel free the rest of the innards will move.

Cari
Old 09-16-2014, 08:00 PM

Very cool. I was going to suggest starting with the hand wheel. Did they paint the underside too? You can do some small solvent tests to see what works and the chrome/steel bits shouldn't be a problem at all. Are you good with a dremel?

As attractive as the table is (and it is, very), I think the machine is more interesting. You're going to do a great job.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Very cool. I was going to suggest starting with the hand wheel. Did they paint the underside too? You can do some small solvent tests to see what works and the chrome/steel bits shouldn't be a problem at all. Are you good with a dremel?

As attractive as the table is (and it is, very), I think the machine is more interesting. You're going to do a great job.
Yes, I have two dremels. Yes the underside is painted but not as heavy as the outside. I took the back plate off and there's a little bit of rust on the inside of the head itself but none at all on the innards. Just a few very small carcasses. I'm still more crazy about the table and irons. Which BTW have also been spray painted. Oh, and it has a wooden pitman arm. The treadle action is real smooth and quiet, it'll keep going several revolutions after I take my foot off of it.

Cari
Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 PM

Cari are you bringing the head down Saturday? I feel like I'm having you load up half your house.
Rodney