Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with finding information.... >

Help with finding information....

Help with finding information....

Old 06-19-2015, 02:05 AM

Default Help with finding information....

On a Free-Westinghouse. I am brand new to purchasing vintage machine. If something happens and they actually do work that's fabulous but if not, that's ok too because I will use them to decorate with. I also bought a singer 99K. The singer came with all the attachments and manual. And I have been reading this forum about vintage machines and have learned quite a bit. I have also found a agood bit of info on the internet about the Singer.

The problem I'm having is the Free -Westinghouse did not come with a manual. I have spent a lot of time looking for information on it and I haven't found much. Does anyone here own one? Could anyone direct me to good information so I can learn about this machine and possibly find a manual. Was this machine/company not very successful and that's why I'm having a hard time finding info? It is an ALB Rotary I think. Just comparing what photos I've found on the Internet.

i would be SO greatful if you ladies can help me out with this. In case anyone is wondering why I bought a machine I know absolutely nothing about. Well I came across it at an open air market and a lady had a few old machines and they spoke to me lol!

TIA

Last edited by ocydroma; 06-19-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:54 AM

Glad to help. There are many different models of Free -Westinghouse machines, so without a manual a few pictures of your sewing machine will help us identify her and give you the correct info.

ISMACS has a page for Free machines: http://ismacs.net/free/home.html
Old 06-19-2015, 04:55 AM

Hmmm- I belive the ALB is the same one I've got that I've been trying to find a manual for too - and I watch eBay daily.

The later models with the round reverse lever cover are very common, but this is an earlier model and much rarer.

It's the top one in this picture. Mine is badged New Home - but it's made by Free-Westinghouse after they aquired New Home

The gold one at the bottom is the later model - and much more common

Old 06-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Banned

There is a FreeWestinghouse/NewHome Yahoo group. The group owner, Randy, is a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge. There may even be a manual in the group files.

Cari
Old 06-20-2015, 09:26 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523001[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523003[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523004[/ATTACH]I got a call Saturday that the lady I purchased the machine from found the manual and attachments. I will post some photos also. [ATTACH=CONFIG]523000[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 06-20-2015, 10:58 PM

Hi,

Nice looking Free Westinghouse you got. These use a needle not made anymore called Free Rotary, CC, CC1221, 40F1, and Boye 2-1/2 and are a little shorter than the standard 15x1 or 2020 Household needle. A good stroke of luck getting the attachments and manual.

Jon
Old 06-23-2015, 05:57 PM

Does anyone know if the needles are still available anywhere? I haven't tried sewing with it because I wanted to make sure I had some information about it before attempting. The lady I bought it from said it worked. I paid $40 for it. The case is in pretty bad shape but the machine looks really good. If it does actually work, was that a good price? If I can't get it to work, it will be a decorative piece.

Thanks for for all the information!! It's much appreciated!!