Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help finding a replacement part for Pfaff 788 serger >

Help finding a replacement part for Pfaff 788 serger

Help finding a replacement part for Pfaff 788 serger

Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 AM

Default Help finding a replacement part for Pfaff 788 serger

I know my serger is a little new (1990) for this section, but as sergers go it's a great one. Somehow I broke off a part (stupid plastic!) and now it will only sew as a 2 thread edge stitch. The part is the converter, a little metal hook attached to plastic. It looks easy to replace if I can find the part. Can anyone give me a source for this? I hate to pay the sewing machine store big bucks to fix it. Truth be told, since my birthday is coming up, my hubby bought me a fancy new Babylock. I hate to just ditch the Pfaff if it can be mended. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM

I'm sure your local Pfaff dealer can order you a new part if they're still available.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Lyncat,

If the Pfaff dealer cannot order you the part, take it to a good hardware store and see if they can identify the type of plastic used. Then acquire the appropriate adhesive and glue it back together.

My wife Elaine got a cute little Brother 920D by stealing it from me after I bartered some labor for it. As she was getting tensions all adjusted a part broke. The part is available from SewPartsUSA but costs $26.00 plus shipping. It's made from pot metal so I fixed it with JB Weld. We're gonna get a new part as soon as we can, but for now the little machine is up and running. That's my idea for the moment.

Joe
Old 07-08-2014, 05:17 AM

Thanks, Candace and Joe! I talked to my nearby Pfaff dealer and she is checking on the part. In the meantime, DH glued it together. It's still not sewing right, but could be something else entirely. I just want to use it to sew a lot of burlap table runners for a wedding. I'm not ready to sew burlap with the new girl yet!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Lyncat, how did your Dealer make out with it? Could you circle where the part goes? For some reason, I'm just not seeing it. I have a service manual here for that machine, and might be able to figure out a part number for you to search the internet for it.