Help with frozen Singer 201-2

Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM

You say your cord has been replaced at one time or another, so someone must have tried/used it recently. You say it is completely frozen up? Well, good luck, don't give up on it until you HAVE to; 201s are the best machines made in my estimation.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
There are links to Muv's videos in the sticky on cleaning old machines. Take some time and read the sticky and watch the videos. They will take a lot of the mystery out of cleaning these old machines. After that, clean all the dust, dirt and lint that you can find out then oil the snot out of it with either sewing machine oil or tri-flow. Don't be tempted to use other products. Put oil in every hole you see on the body of the machine. Remove the nose plate and open the bobbin cover. Oil everything inside that looks like it should move. Now do the hard part. Walk away for a day or two. After a good long wait go back and see if anything starts moving. It didn't seize up overnight, it may take some time for the oil to work it's magic and get things freed up again.
201s are true rotary machines. There will be a couple sets of gears on the underside that will need grease. A light synthetic grease like Tri-flow grease is a good choice or use Singer grease if you can find some. Download an owner's manual from Singerco.com. There should be lubrication instructions inside.
Good luck with it. You'll have one of Singer's best machines when you're done.
Rodney
Rodney - is there any way to disassemble a machine that is "frozen" solid, or am I wasting our time?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:31 AM

Doesn't look like old dried up oil is the reason that machine is seized up.

How much rust is on the rest of the machine?

As long as the parts aren't fused together by rust, they should come apart.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:20 AM

What Mark said. There's no movement at all?

Steve explained rust the best. It forms a layer on the surface of the metal. Where two pieces meet it bridges over the joint. You can use something like a dental pick and scrape all the visible joints you can reach then oil again. It might give the oil a chance to penetrate. You can also use heat from a hairdryer in combination with the oil. It will cause the metal to expand and may loosen up any old dried oil enough to free things up.
Until you get the machine moving you may want to use the kerosene instead of oil. It's thinner and is more likely to penetrate into the joints.

This is more of a last ditch thing. I'm not sure this is a good idea. I'd try it on my machine but I'm not sure I should recommend it to you. Try it at your own risk and only after you try the other methods. I did this with my daughter's 99 and ended up breaking part of the needlebar linkage and bending the needlebar.
Take the handwheel off. On Singers there's a notch that you can put a large screwdriver or other bar in. Try spinning the shaft directly. If it doesn't go with moderate force, stop before you break something.
Rodney
Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
.....If it doesn't go with moderate force, stop before you break something.
Rodney
I seldom recognize that stopping spot, until right after I’ve went by it......

CD in Oklahoma