Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help identifying vintage singer model >

Help identifying vintage singer model

Help identifying vintage singer model

Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by indysheart View Post
Thank you for your quick reply! I can’t wait to try it out! :-) Are there any quirks, I should know about? It was quite cold last night, so we just looked at it (just from the car ride it got super cold.) But it has been untouched for several decades. It is on year older than my mom in theory, based on the JC serial. I just love how it looks. Now to keep the toddler away from it. :-)
Indysheart, you are so cute! And you must be sooo young. I was in the third grade when your machine was made.[ I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience in your home economics class. I was a home ec. teacher in the "stone age." ('63-'64)teeheehee. Home Ec. Ed has changed so much in the last decade or so. In fact, it is now called Human Resources. Of course, that's no excuse for someone ruining your early experiences in sewing. So start fresh and let the people on this board guide you. There is so much you can find online, you will be amazed. Lots of tutorials, patterns, etc. ] Good luck with your new machine.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:07 PM

indysheart,

Not to be argumentative, but there is more to servicing a potted motor machine than just oiling it. The motor and the drive gears need grease. There are two grease pots at the bottom of the motor with screw caps. To grease it you'll need to tilt the machine on it's back side, remove the screw in covers and using Singer Motor Lube ( grease - not the white stuff ) only, add grease to the grease pots. The grease pots lube both the motor bearings and the drive gear so you need to use the right grease. ( If you can't find the Singer Motor Lube in the tube, you can substitute petroleum jelly.

These machines are pretty bullet proof, but they do need to be maintained properly. Get an owners manual if you don't have one and read it.

Joe
Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Wise Grandmother...
grandma knows her stuff.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM

indysheart - if you're just in my area, i would be willing to go thru your potted motor and do the rewiring and cleaning if need be free of charge. i just require a potted motor with the help of the members here and it's still fresh in my mind. in fact i will have my 201-2 potted motor do a thorough motor wiring checkup.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 AM

You are going to LOVE this machine! I have several vintage machines and a modern machine. If I had to give them all up but one, I would keep my 15-91, hands down. Awesome machine. Congrats!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 AM

You will love, love this machine. I have 4 of them. I need to sell at least 2 of them to someone who likes to sew.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 AM

Thanks so much for the adjusters manual. I can't wait to get my running!!! Waiting for rewiring...

Jp
Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 AM

I have read the manual and printed them both out to take tomy uncle, to refresh his memory. I have been looking on Ebay for additionalparts- like extra bobbins, etc.

Thank you Vmaniqui for the offer- however I am in frigidWisconsin. : )

I will sum up my home ec sewing experience as this: Mygrandma showed me how to use her machine recently. I didn’t know the bobbin wasa required part, because my home ec teacher would just let us all have bunchedup thread that we had to take out and start over with- without properlyexplaining how to fully thread the machine. So while I have a lovely pizzapillow that I made in the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] grade- I ended up hand sewing itbecause it had to get done, and there was no way I was going to get my machineworking. I think the teacher had the misconception that her students had allused/ seen a sewing machine before that point. And that we should just “know”these things.

And yes, my Grandma certainly does. I have a quilt she made(she made one for all her granddaughters). That thing is the heaviest, warmestquilt ever. I mean, it is so warm we only break it out if the heat goes off. Andalso I am afraid to get it too dirty- it’s dry clean only. She recently madeone of my cousins a flapper dress for a school dance, wedding dresses,bridesmaids dresses, etc. She’s been sewing for over 70 years.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Oooooooh, such a good read this morning. You lucky girl.....I would give my eye teeth (if I still had them) for one of these machines. My son and I have just been through a re-building process with one of these motors and it turned out great with all the help from some members of this board, and a suggestion of a tutorial to upload (download, whichever). They are so unbelievably quiet....For a comparison, someday when you are out on your own just messin' around, go in a sewing machine store and try out a few of the new ones. Just don't indicate that you are "just looking around"--the salespeople will suddenly not see you at all.....
Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 PM

Welcome aboard! Looks like you already have the help you need. Don't buy your bobbins off Ebay. Go to http://www.sew-classic.com/ instead. They have a very good reputation here and sell high quality bobbins. It does make a difference. In addition use only sewing machine oil or Tri-Flow oil on your machine. Other oils can gum it up over time. It's also worth mentioning your machine uses low shank feet and attachments, it also uses standard sewing machine needles. I researched my first machine quite a while before I figured that out. I think which feet a machine uses is one of those things that's so basic it doesn't get mentioned much.
Don't worry, the maintenance isn't hard and after the first thorough cleaning and oiling only takes a couple minutes. I do believe doing it yourself is best, you'll get more familiar with your machine that way. I don't own one yet but model 15s are pretty highly regarded here. I expect you'll enjoy using it.
Rodney