Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with machine identification >

Help with machine identification

Help with machine identification

Old 03-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Banned

That's a common cord block for many machines. The light socket is constant power so yes if you plug the motor into it, speed racer. The motor socket gets power when the controller is pressed, so controlled power. There's no issue, you just need to plug the motor into the motor socket and the light into the light socket.

Cari

Too cool, the 71-33 even has the centennial badge.

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 03-12-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:24 AM

Default Wow - wow - wow

What a fantastic haul. Lots of neat stuff. I saw several things that won't work on either machine. The 17-33 (and the 17-28) take 16x229 needles. You may want to check the ISMACS needle list and also the model list. Also neat that the 66 has the original needle plate.

Have fun.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Banned

Good catch Janey, yes I saw some White Rotary stuff.

Cari
Old 03-14-2016, 11:32 AM

I looked at few of the photos to have some idea of all your stuff. I think you emptied the plastic bag and laid out what was in it, right? I don't see any back clamp feet for the 66. There might be. It looks like the buttonholer and the hemstitcher (nice attachment but I think it is for a White, too) One of the plates I think go with that attachment.
You can see the parts I'm referring to on page 6 of this pdf http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../sil10-217.pdf Which is like the one you have, I think

It seems like I saw places that said that they had the manual for 17-33 but what it was was this
http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManu...3_25_31_33.pdf Which is actually a parts list for 17 class machines EXCEPT for the machines in the title. And another http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/17.pdf that excludes several. This one may be similar enough to help you out.

Good luck. Maybe you have a White of some other low shank Singer machine to try some of those attachments with.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:04 PM

Great haul. The 17-33 cylinder arm looks like an awesome darner. The 16x229 needles look like a tough find if you don't have a supply already. Something else should be close enough if needed. Enjoy.

Jon
Old 03-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Wow you got a nice haul.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:43 PM

So I dedicated some time to the machines today. I had some trouble with the electrical on the 17-33 at first. I believe the motor socket just had some crud in it. I sprayed it with contact cleaner and waited. When I plugged everything back in, everything worked like it should. It sews so nice. I was really lucky because the machine was threaded when I bought it, so I just chased the thread that was already in it. From what I have read, it appears that this machine is for leather edge stitching. There isn't a whole lot of information about it.

edit: according to ismacs, this machine is for:

Single needle, central bobbin, oscillating shuttle, lock stitch, Cylinder bed is 1 7/8 inches in diameter at face-plate-end x 16-1/2 inches long For darning socks, stockings, table linens, towels, knit underwear, etc. NO feeding mechanism. (01/1954)

I took some more pictures and added them to the flickr album. I have also uploaded a video of it sewing:

Janey, good eye with the hemstitching pieces. I will make sure to put the plate into the box with the rest of the pieces. I actually suspected that many of the parts weren't for the machines that I bought that day, but they said all the sewing stuff was one price, so I grabbed it all. I don't have any White machines, so I might just list some of those on eBay or something.

I have a few attachments that are just crazy to me, maybe someone here can identify them?

Last edited by maudeflanagan; 03-14-2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 03-14-2016, 03:54 PM

the left and middle are both tuckers - one for a top clamp machine (missing one set screw though) and the other for a side clamp (it is also missing one set screw). The last I beleive is for needle punch work. Not sure, but I have several of them.

Both of the tuckers go in a "set" that you also have most of the peices for. The middle is the style that went into the Singer Puzzle boxes, and I noticed you have several of the other pieces that go in the puzzle box too.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:21 PM

Thanks Cathy. I actually theorized that the needle punch thing was for lacing footballs
Old 03-17-2016, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by maudeflanagan View Post

I took some more pictures and added them to the flickr album. I have also uploaded a video of it sewing:
Thank you for posting. How fun. You look like a pro - stitching with it. I have dial-up at home and will frequently just forget about large pictures or videos. I'm so glad I looked this up during my lunch hour at work.