Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help!! Need to know the model # and where to get new gasket >

Help!! Need to know the model # and where to get new gasket

Help!! Need to know the model # and where to get new gasket

Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

Dried on WD40 is a B**** to get off - wait for Glenn's refinish tutorial. Watch Muv's videos for the clean up. They are in the sticky at the top of the Vintage Sewing Machine section or http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html anyway a link - she has a ton of very well done videos. You don't want to damage those decals - very pretty.
You can also use aquarium tubing or leather shoe laces sewn at the ends - Charlee has good info how to do the belt.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:40 AM

I use sewing machine oil to get the first layer of gunk off. Most of the machines I have seen have no clear coat left on them, so one must be very careful with what is used on them,
Unpainted metal parts I soak first in kerosene, then evaporust. After that, a turn in the tumbler and finish with a metal polish.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:48 AM

Charlee,
I have a question about winding a round bobbin. (My redeye is still in the CRV.) Can I wind those old round bobbins on my Bernina? Thanks,
Kathleen

Last edited by quilter68; 03-29-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: sp
Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter68 View Post
Charlee,
I have a question about winding a round bobbin. (My redeye is still in the CRV.) Can I wind those old round bobbins on my Bernina? Thanks,
Kathleen
you can if the bobbin fits on the spindle.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 PM

Nanna, you've gotten some good advice! I believe what you have is a VS-2 (early model 27) from 1899.

I can see from your photos that you have some clear coat damage, so be really careful what you let come into contact with the decals... use the sewing machine oil to clean, and be really patient...you might be cleaning for awhile, and it will seem like it's not working, but SM oil won't damage your decals! Glenn is in the process of writing a tutorial to guide us in restoring the finishes on these old girls...but of course SOMEONE had to go camping this week!! ~wink and a grin~ We're trying to wait patiently for him to get back...

Like Miriam suggested, watch Muv's videos...they're AWESOME!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by quilter68 View Post
Charlee,
Kathleen
Miriam already answered you, but yes, if it fits you can use your Bernina to wind bobbins... tell those boys to come get your machine out of the car for you!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM

Another Singer with pheasant decals! I wonder how many were made, and what models they were on. I haven't cleaned mine up yet- waiting for a nice warm day to work outside. Yours looks to be in pretty good shape. Does yours also have an opening on the end behind the handwheel? I'm not sure what it's for. I don't think WD 40 is a good idea, esp anywhere near the decals. I'll be lurking to see what the resident experts have to say. Glad your machine is finally home and being loved.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

leave off the WD40 for sure
Old 03-30-2012, 03:32 AM

Thanks, I haven't used the WD 40 because now you all have me scared!! And there is a hole behind the machine... it has a cover on it and after I cleaned it.... it is lovely. I will be working on this for days. I couldn't get the plate off that hides the feed dog but my son got the screw off this morning..... I don't think anyone ever cleaned the fuzz out of there. That may take me awhile!! I commented on Monroe's post about her pheasant decal machine. I have so many questions..... a big one is, what size belt should I buy? I tried the nylons idea but it's not working real well for me. I need a belt!! just don't know the size.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 AM

I just picture the nylons with a foot hanging out flapping as it goes around! You are inspiring me to get mine working. I want to sit outside on a warmer day to do it as I have a small parrot and don't want to risk fumes around him.