Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help!! Need to know the model # and where to get new gasket

Help!! Need to know the model # and where to get new gasket

Hi, My sister-in-law gave me an old Singer treadle machine yesterday that my brother had wanted me to have. He's been gone almost 10 years but that's okay..... this is special that he wanted me to have this. Anyway, I looked up the serial number to find it probably was made in 1899 (#16329519) but no model number ...so I don't know how to locate a manual from Singer. It is really dirty so I watched the videos on how to clean it up. I'll try to work on it a little today. But I don't know where to get a new rubber gasket to connect the treadle pedal and the wheel..... and I don't know what size I should get. How do I determine that?

I'll take a picture and try to check in later. Thanks,

Jean

I'm sure others can attach links to the websites you need. You can start with Singer.com, also Ismaacs.com. Congratulations! The gasket is called a belt, and available online and probably from some members here. You'll think of your brother every time you see it. Sorry there was a 10 year lag to get it, but it's home now.

Blog Entries
    Mizkaki (here on the board) carries the belt that you need!

Be careful with the "no letter" serial numbers. There's a chance that your machine is a Singer 9W, which would have been made between 1906 and 1912.... can you post a picture of it?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Here are some pictures. It's going to take a lot of work to clean this one up, I think. The needle goes up and down when I turn the wheel but the bobbin winder is going to take a little soaking. What should I use to clean up the stencilling without damaging it? Any help is much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The rest of us are all waiting for Glenn to get home from fishing. He has promised us a tutorial on sewing machine refinishing. NO. Don't pray for rain. He'll think Charlee did it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

You have a model 27/28, depending on the bed size. I don't think it's a 9W anyway. You have the lovely pheasant decals, which is one my favourites.

Thanks all, I threaded it and turned the wheel by hand and it sews..... still a lot of work to do but I'm up for a challenge. I think I will have to take the bobbin winder off and soak it to get the wheel to move.... some rust has it locked up. I'll post more as I progress..... and today I'm gone all day.... groan!!

This is going to be a rewarding project for you! The work will be worth it. You will always treasure the machine, knowing that your brother wanted you to have it.
    Dayle

Blog Entries
    Until you can get a belt ordered try cutting the leg off a panty hose and stretch it as far as you can, tie a knot, then trim the knot so a lot of it isn't flopping around. That's what I did to one of my machines. Still working like a top.
    TwandasMom

WoW! I think I'll try that. I'll be home today so I'm going to work on it a bit...... I really don't know where to start but I got some metal polish and WD-40...... I'm a little nervous about taking things apart but if I do it one piece at a time I think I'll be okay.

Blog Entries
    Dried on WD40 is a B**** to get off - wait for Glenn's refinish tutorial. Watch Muv's videos for the clean up. They are in the sticky at the top of the Vintage Sewing Machine section or http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html anyway a link - she has a ton of very well done videos. You don't want to damage those decals - very pretty.
    You can also use aquarium tubing or leather shoe laces sewn at the ends - Charlee has good info how to do the belt.

Blog Entries
    I use sewing machine oil to get the first layer of gunk off. Most of the machines I have seen have no clear coat left on them, so one must be very careful with what is used on them,
    Unpainted metal parts I soak first in kerosene, then evaporust. After that, a turn in the tumbler and finish with a metal polish.
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    Charlee,
    I have a question about winding a round bobbin. (My redeye is still in the CRV.) Can I wind those old round bobbins on my Bernina? Thanks,
    Kathleen
    Last edited by quilter68; 03-29-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: sp
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter68 View Post
    Charlee,
    I have a question about winding a round bobbin. (My redeye is still in the CRV.) Can I wind those old round bobbins on my Bernina? Thanks,
    Kathleen
    you can if the bobbin fits on the spindle.

Blog Entries
    Nanna, you've gotten some good advice! I believe what you have is a VS-2 (early model 27) from 1899.

I can see from your photos that you have some clear coat damage, so be really careful what you let come into contact with the decals... use the sewing machine oil to clean, and be really patient...you might be cleaning for awhile, and it will seem like it's not working, but SM oil won't damage your decals! Glenn is in the process of writing a tutorial to guide us in restoring the finishes on these old girls...but of course SOMEONE had to go camping this week!! ~wink and a grin~ We're trying to wait patiently for him to get back...

Like Miriam suggested, watch Muv's videos...they're AWESOME!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter68 View Post
    Charlee,
    Kathleen
    Miriam already answered you, but yes, if it fits you can use your Bernina to wind bobbins... tell those boys to come get your machine out of the car for you!!!!!!!

Another Singer with pheasant decals! I wonder how many were made, and what models they were on. I haven't cleaned mine up yet- waiting for a nice warm day to work outside. Yours looks to be in pretty good shape. Does yours also have an opening on the end behind the handwheel? I'm not sure what it's for. I don't think WD 40 is a good idea, esp anywhere near the decals. I'll be lurking to see what the resident experts have to say. Glad your machine is finally home and being loved.

Blog Entries
    leave off the WD40 for sure

Thanks, I haven't used the WD 40 because now you all have me scared!! And there is a hole behind the machine... it has a cover on it and after I cleaned it.... it is lovely. I will be working on this for days. I couldn't get the plate off that hides the feed dog but my son got the screw off this morning..... I don't think anyone ever cleaned the fuzz out of there. That may take me awhile!! I commented on Monroe's post about her pheasant decal machine. I have so many questions..... a big one is, what size belt should I buy? I tried the nylons idea but it's not working real well for me. I need a belt!! just don't know the size.

I just picture the nylons with a foot hanging out flapping as it goes around! You are inspiring me to get mine working. I want to sit outside on a warmer day to do it as I have a small parrot and don't want to risk fumes around him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I just picture the nylons with a foot hanging out flapping as it goes around! You are inspiring me to get mine working. I want to sit outside on a warmer day to do it as I have a small parrot and don't want to risk fumes around him.
    Did I forget to say cut off the leg at the crotch? That leaves you with just one long stretchy piece of hose - you have to pull it really, really tight before you tie the knot. My belt kept turning and couldn't get hole punched just right - kept tearing out. Finally gave up. Hose works for me.
    TwandasMom