Horror at the antique shop

Old 11-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Banned

the spool pin and tension would be really tough to fix... that hole goes through the race support at the very least....
Old 11-08-2015, 06:31 PM

Pretty iffy on the head. If it's an HC, that base if intact would be very dear to a Weed owner.

Jon
Old 11-09-2015, 08:36 AM

Oh, it's still there? Go figure.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t234677.html

Ha! Almost 2 years to the day.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:49 AM

I will shed a tear for that poor Weed. I would probably have tipped it over to see if there was anything salvageable from underneath. I would like to think they didn't drill through the shuttle race, but I am an optimist. Here is what it should be looking like.

Suzanne

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535315[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_6524.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 07:11 PM

The other thread shows the box it's sitting on/in is nothing special-at least if the nail holes are any indication. It also looks like the drive wheel was most likely sawed off as well when the poor thing became a lamp.
I'd forgotten about that one.
Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 11-09-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:58 PM

Yes, definitely not a rare handcrank. I can relate to checking underneath for the shuttle.

Jon
Old 11-10-2015, 05:36 AM

Another "hiss" from my corner. Just makes me furious to see cabinet stripped of their drawers for some stupid idea, beautiful old machines turned into lamps, irons used for tacky table legs and any such dismantling.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:25 AM

Even though the population have multiplied over the decades, and considering a lot of the sewing machines made in the past have been thrown on the heap a long time ago, there seem to be a surplus. I don't know how many is actually left. Few of us sew anything at any more, we have more clothes, and stuff than ever, and we sort of let other sew for us in stead; in India, Turkey, Bangladesh, etc. I think it's very odd many of us don't think if a sewing machine as handy to have around for repairs, alterations, curtains, jobs around the house. Are we expected to go to work and pay for every little thing to be ready made or done for us?

Then there's the factor of new machine verus old. Brand new has the great force of commecial production and sale. It has a hold on our thoughts and actions we are hardly aware of. The fact that the brand new machine is there in a shop is a strong influence. I don't have any bad conscience over a few brand new machines not being bought, and in stead have someone invest a bit of time and effort in an old machine. They might not be the product of our own generation, but most of the old machines have qualities definitely worth taking care of and keep in use. It's such a waste of resources when a sold old straight stitcher gets tossed out for a machine that's so much less.

I wonder if the fact that there were a lot more effort put into these old machine than many of the new. Hardened steel is still very high quality parts, compares ery well to plastic gears and clipped together machines. A brand new machine is more advanced with out a doubt, it's the next step in the evolution and it all rests on the previous generations. I'm not against progress and development, but it's just that I don't see making these old machines obsolete just for the sale of a new machine as either progress or a good thing in general. I'm wondering how we can let people know the qualities and advantages to these old machines? Both individuals new to sewing as well as more experienced can be well serviced by a dependable machine like these.

These old cast iron machine can never do exactly the same as a top model Bernina, Husqvarna, but we so easily buy into auto functions like needle threader, needle up/down, knee lift, built in walking foot, auto bobbin winder, etc. In my experience these features have a lot to do with habit, how you are used to finding ways about all the small challenges when sewing. New technology in itself get's a lot of attention and can impress us for all the wrong reasons.

I have no idea about the old treadle in question here behaves, but I know I prefer a Singer 201 or a Bernina 730 to a lot of brand new machines on the marked today. A lot of old machines adjust very well to our needs in 2015, in my case it's more like 90 % straight stitching and 10% other stitches; usually buttonholes, blind stitches, some times a stretchy stitch. In my line of thinking, an old Singer 201 and a good serger would be a nice set up for just about anything I want to venture into. How industrial and ambitious are the average quilter these days? Among the models there are a lot of high tech "Quilter's Edition". Are there any who actually go from a high tech marvel to a cast iron straight stitcher?

Sorry, this post turned out way too long

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-10-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Are there any who actually go from a high tech marvel to a cast iron straight stitcher?
Me! Sold my fancy, expensive embroidery/sewing machine and now use a Singer 15-91 and Singer 221 for 95% of my sewing and quilting.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Banned

me too, Viking 6000 series to all Victorian machines