Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How to assemble the bobbin winder on a Universal KNB >

How to assemble the bobbin winder on a Universal KNB

How to assemble the bobbin winder on a Universal KNB

Old 12-30-2015, 04:06 PM

Default How to assemble the bobbin winder on a Universal KNB

I need to find out how to assemble the bobbin winder on my Universal Model KNB machine. The original winder was broken, and I was finally able to obtain replacement parts for it. I have all of the parts, but not a clue as to how to assemble them. There are a couple of springs, and a few other bits and pieces. Can anybody point me in the right direction for assembly instructions ? It is likely similar to other brands of Japanese machines. I'm sure it's not particularly difficult, because there are not many parts involved. I just don't know where to begin.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

What is a Universal KNB? Pictures?
Old 12-31-2015, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
What is a Universal KNB? Pictures?

It is a very common Japanese built zig-zag machine built in the 1960's by Standard Sewing Equipment Corp. Often sold under other names, and badged differently. A great many use the same design of bobbin winder. It is made to automatically dis-engage when the bobbin is full. I have all of the parts, but I don't know how they are supposed to be assembled. I'm sure it is quite simple, because not many parts are involved. I mounts right next to the hand wheel, rather than being hidden under the top cover.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Blue print or schematic of the patent might be found somewhere
I have a machine with a broken BW an no donor - it seems like every one of them I've looked at is different - I have no match for mine. It would be a nice machine by just using a sidewinder....

Last edited by miriam; 12-31-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:35 PM

All is well...... I figured it out, plus discovered a neat trick to install the springs.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post
All is well...... I figured it out, plus discovered a neat trick to install the springs.
Congrats. Did you take pictures? Care to share "neat trick"?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:35 AM

I didn't take any pictures. The trick with the springs is to assemble all of the parts, without putting the springs under tension, so as not to have to fight with them trying to pop the pieces apart while you are trying to get them into place. After you get everything put together, with the screws gently screwed down, you then use a small screwdriver to snap the ends of the springs into their proper locations or notches. This puts them under tension. Then you can tighten the screws. If you try to put everything together with the springs under tension, you will need three hands to hold everything while trying to get the screw started into it's hole. I hope that makes sense.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:57 AM

Congrats on getting it figured out.
I think Miriam is right. It seems that bobbin winders are pretty much unique to every make and model out there. While they're functional, I think they fall under the decoration category too. They were one of the things that would be changed depending on who was buying the machine.
Rodney