Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How does the needle go in the sewing machine and which way do I thread the needle? >

How does the needle go in the sewing machine and which way do I thread the needle?

How does the needle go in the sewing machine and which way do I thread the needle?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The hook question is why I didn't bring that up on page one window one but Ray White corrected me... It is true that you need to look at the hook (if you know what one is) to be sure - but on the most common machines that needle going flat against the needle bar will get you there.
I used to do it the way you originally showed us. I moved to doing it using the hook way when I got the Longarm because it uses needles without a flat.

If Ray White corrected you, does that mean you're in his class again? Was this post for extra credit? Thanks for it. I'd kept meaning to do something similar.

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
They were trying to sell something? I just looked at the pictures
Gee! Usually I hear it the other way around... "I was just reading the articles... honest"... It was on the right side of the screen.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Power Poster

yup I was there after I did the tutorial. The official way to put in the needle IS to look at the hook but so many people don't do the hook thing and YES if the needle is round it won't work out to do the groove. I know that from my industrials. It is just an easy way for quite a few home machines.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Bumping pump
Old 03-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Banned

Miriam I've always threaded a machine following the flat of the needle, I learned this long before I knew anything about the hook or round shank needles. Thread the needle towards the flat. Flat side to the right, thread left to right, etc.

Cari
Old 03-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Cari, the flat side goes against the shaft. Since you are mostly using Japanese machines it is easy but if you get an old singer it can be hard to tell. Flat side against the shaft - thread goes in the groovie side.

Last edited by miriam; 03-15-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Banned

Miriam I was just using the "flat to the right" as an example. We're saying the same thing, just a different perspective. Most of my Japanese machines have the flat to the back so they thread front to back. If the flat is to the left, it threads right to left, towards the flat. See?

Cari