How far will you drive?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:54 AM

Default How far will you drive?

How far will you drive for a machine you want from Craig's list or a pick up from eBay or other sources?

My limit seems to be about 1 1/2 hours right now, although recently I was thinking 2 hours was not that far for a machine I really wanted. I actually enjoy these trips, usually go on Sunday mornings, get coffee, something sweet, life is good!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:01 AM

I drove 2 hrs one way for a pheasant Singer like your avatar, a little further for a Howe. Tempted to go further, but my old minivan is too thirsty.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:09 AM

Depends on machine, price. If I know I have things to do elsewhere I scour CL for several days prior in that location so I don't miss out on something. Otherwise I stay within an hour or so of home.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 AM

At the moment it would hurt me to drive for more than an hour one-way, but I have very little time and two little kids... so I think it depends on your circumstances. If I was on my own with nobody else to worry about, I think an excuse for a day trip with coffee and thrift/antique shop stops along the way sounds like absolute heaven!!
Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 AM

It depends on the machine and the price. I drove two hours to pick up two Featherweights that she sold me for $60 total. I thought they were $60 each which would still have been a bargain after a two hour drive. It was a good day as my sister lived nearby and I got a visit and lunch out of the day as well.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:59 AM

Thanks for all your responses! Combining the pick up with other activities, visits, treasure hunting are great ideas.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:38 AM

The longest I have driven was about an hour and a half, one way, to pick up a Bernina 930, Singer 503A, and a Singer 328K.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:57 AM

I've made several trips to Indianapolis, gone to Peoria, IL, gone to southern IL a couple times, and picked up a treadle in FT Wayne, IN while there for a memorial service. And we went to Terre Haute, IN to pick up a machine and ended up bringing home a really nice treadle in a parlor cabinet.

It depends really.

Joe
Old 10-04-2013, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
How far will you drive for a machine you want from Craig's list or a pick up from eBay or ?
Time permitting and for the right machine, probably 2 1/2 hours. So far, I've driven only once for 45 minutes for a 15-91 centennial in a blonde (yikes) cabinet. And I love it. My spouse is not into the machines so I have to pick my days, if you understand my meaning.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:30 AM

How about 2 days? though it does not really count as I'm visiting relatives down there too.

And I have my son go pick up the machines as I find them - so not the same. But he does have three of them waiting for me already.

As to how far I'll go without another reason? So far it's been about 3 hours one way. And for the right machine/cabinet at the right price, if I can make it there and back in a day, I'd go for it.

The least amount I've driven is 15 miles - when I found a parlor cabinet in the local quilt shop. It was being used as a display prop, but they were happy to sell it for what I offered.

I live near the middle of nowhere, and most I find are at least an hour away. But then my job is 84 miles away (almost all interstate though) too.

My spouse is worse than I am about this - he loves the machines too and likes road trips more than I do. He's even offered to go by himself for a day to pick up a machine while I'm at work.