Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
how to hide elephants - er... umm... well,  I mean 40 sewing machine tables... >

how to hide elephants - er... umm... well, I mean 40 sewing machine tables...

how to hide elephants - er... umm... well, I mean 40 sewing machine tables...

Old 09-28-2014, 02:11 PM

well, it's already a given that I'm a bit off balanced when it comes to sewing machines . . .

Just counting cabinets
2 treadles in the bedroom
1 treadle and one electric in the office
3 electric in the den
4 electric in the dining room converted to quilting room - but you know, with the 12' quilting frame in the middle, you really don't notice the sewing cabinets.
3 treadles and 1 electric in the Library
1 electric in the basement (disassembled, stripped and waiting to be refinished)
2 electric and 5 treadles in the spare bedroom (no bed in there though)
and for the actual sewing room:
9 electric, 1 treadle and 2 card tables, but they are folded and put off to the side.

I have the Ironrite mangle in the laundry room - so no room for a sewing cabinet in there.

that totals 12 treadles and 21 electric cabinets, plus two card tables. Now that doesn't seem so bad. . .

And then - there is this . . . It's not all sewing cabinets - just mostly sewing cabinets.

This is the building we are remaking. This is actually two buildings, and we'll only take down the half on this end (the other half is my Summer Kitchen) It's almost empty now, and we'll take it down to the cement and rebuild it with full height walls. Hopefully what I've got will all fit. We'd be getting more done if it would cool down - we haven't even had a hard frost yet!

Old 09-28-2014, 02:23 PM

I would love a table/desk for my 401 if anyone had one to throw my way. Be more than willing to pay shipping. Just sayin........
Old 09-28-2014, 04:32 PM

Rosie99 if only you were closer.

Macybaby there's a big difference between your collecting and mine. You actually have a set purpose in acquiring your machines and you're taking the expensive and necessary steps to house them correctly where you can display them.
Your method of collecting machines of a certain vintage and with certain features like shuttle type is a great model to follow, that or Steve's methods where he collects only earlier machines.
I would like to say the same for me but honestly I get them because I like them and haven't been too concerned about sticking within a certain time period though I am getting more interested in early electric machines and machines that clearly show the design evolution of modern sewing machines. I just need to determine which ones are the best examples and go after them.
Rodney
Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 AM

I only have two cast iron table (treadle) but only one is re-done. Surely would LOVE to find more to put my other machines on!! Can't seem to find easily here..
Old 09-29-2014, 06:13 AM

Would LOVE to find a card table for my 221's but without that hefty price! Lol
Old 09-29-2014, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Do you look on CL? I find things on there all the time. You have to keep your eyes open.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nwm50 View Post
Would LOVE to find a card table for my 221's but without that hefty price! Lol
There has to be a tutorial how to turn your existing sewing table into a table that will hold a FW... Maybe Rodney or somebody can figure that out for us all.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:59 AM

I don't think it would be hard to copy the cutout from a FW table and add a wooden cradle under the cutout.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
I don't think it would be hard to copy the cutout from a FW table and add a wooden cradle under the cutout.
hhhmmmm might get serious money for a FW table...
Old 09-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Miriam, being from up Fighting Irish sort of way, I would love, love, love to see some pics of tables you are not emotionally attached to. Maybe then I could strongly hint one passes hands. Now, we know you are not pushing to sell your tables here. Your posting record validates this. Outside of this venue we could talk the realities of just how we would exchange a table from your home to mine; I am the one begging to buy which does not infer you were soliciting to sell. (Just had to clear that up!)
I'm not ignoring, just trying to stay out of trouble. You can pm if you wish...