Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How many sewing machines is to many? >

How many sewing machines is to many?

How many sewing machines is to many?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:32 AM
sap

I tell everyone they are my "toys", just like a man has a motorcycle , vintage car, or what ever. I can have "toys" too.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 AM

I'm not sure how many is "too" many! Before I joined this Board, I had 2 modern ones which I loved. Then a nice lady gave me a 15-91 and oh did she sew so well!! Then she invited her friends to come play and now I'm up to 13 or is it 14...???? All Singers, except 1 Phaff. Now I want to collect "brands" so I'm looking for a Bernini...but I also want another FW (have 2...black and white/green). I am now selling regular furniture so I have room for sewing machine cabinets!! Oh well, this could be an addiction to other things that I would have to go to rehab for. Luckily, there's no rehab for collecting vintage machines....just enablers!!! LOL
Old 06-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal! Congrats!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:24 AM

Oh, my! Well, I still have my very first machine, a singer 328K purchased in 1963. Occasionally, it needs a little adjusting, etc., but still sews extremely well. I also have a BablyLock serger, and a couple of Singer 751, and a Singer 1425 (which was my mothers, but which I inherited when she died). Unfortunately, I have no room because my aunt's china, crystal, etc., keep sakes, and all that are packed in rubbermaid tubs and stacked in my house! She's given all of this stuff to me, but I need to find a place to put it all up! LOL

Jeanette Frantz
Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 PM

i am a personal friend and have seen her sewing machines, They are wonderful and she has put in a lot of time and work to get them all clean and working. She has them displayed in her house in groups and can tell you the history from where it was made , the date the type and many interesting things.I am proud of her and she sure likes her machines.you can not guess how many she has. She also takes time to make quilts, throws, lap robes, does many volunteer things. I am happy to call her my friend. quilt for fun grandma g
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

We are having company from Florida at the beginning of next month. Soooo, I decided I would clear out and spruce up the spare bedroom. These people haven't ever been in our home before and they are related to my DH. Thus, I want to make a decent impression. We removed 36 vintage and antique sewing machines (mostly Singer). Some have been refurbished and some are waiting the attention of a well meaning husband. So, I don't guess you can have too many but I think he (DH) is pressing his luck. I think I will have a garage sale soon LOL.

Originally Posted by skothing View Post
Okay I admit it I can,t turn down a bargain on a good machine. Yesterday I had 30 minutes before I needed to be leaving for work after running several errands. SOOOOOOO what would a quilter that has 13 machines already, do? Yes in dee de , I went to a thrift store. IT WASN,T my fault. It fallowed me home. I found a Bernina 730 record with 10 feet and the tray that swings around. Oh my it was $24.95. I almost fainted. It was made in 1968 and I am having it cleaned and beautified this Friday one day service. I can,t wait to play on it.

So the question IS: Can a person have to many machines?
Old 06-15-2012, 06:24 AM

as soon as you run out of room in the house then you take over the garage and on to a nice shed and if your children have homes with garages -oh my the options are endless
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by quilt for fun grandma G View Post
i am a personal friend and have seen her sewing machines, They are wonderful and she has put in a lot of time and work to get them all clean and working. She has them displayed in her house in groups and can tell you the history from where it was made , the date the type and many interesting things.I am proud of her and she sure likes her machines.you can not guess how many she has. She also takes time to make quilts, throws, lap robes, does many volunteer things. I am happy to call her my friend. quilt for fun grandma g
Oh, I would love to know which poster is your friend!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 AM

Can anyone have too much fabric?! Well then one can have one too many more machines! lol! I own 3 sewing and one serger and every time I see a great offer I so want to buy it. My name is quiltnut4ever and I am here to say that yes I am a sewing machine/fabric hoarder....(and the people say) "Welcome quiltnut4ever" If that's what makes you happy and you care for them the way you do then ENJOY and Congrats on your wonderful find!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM

No you can not own too many!! A Bernina 730 for 25$..... oh my I wish I could find one at that price!! Lucky you!!